• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quiet Bunny

MarleyMoo

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit worried about Marlon this morning, he's very quiet. Normally when I go in to his room in the morning he goes crazy to come out and starts racing round and jumping on my knee for his breakfast. He wouldn't even come out and showed no interest in his hay or pellets that I'd just put in.

I've got him out and he's just lay on his cushion, I've offered him all his favourites and the only thing he took is a tiny piece of papaya - he just doesn't want to know.

He was totally fine last night, running round and eating his greens and there are loads of poos in his cage this morning. Any ideas? Is he just having an off day? Am I worrying too much?!!

(As I'm typing this he's just eaten one of the treats I left next to him)

Thanks

Vic x

It sounds as though he may have tummy pain
Its good that he has poo'd overnight but he may have gas in his tum causing pain. You could give him 2ml of Infacol and some gentle tummy massage, working from top to bottom. You may be able to feel/hear trapped gas moving around as you massage his tum.

Has he passed any wee? Sometimes a bladder infection can make a Bun's tummy hurt and they avoid weeing cos that hurts too.

Does he have a history of Dental problems. Sharp molars can start to cut into the cheeks/tongue and cause the Bun pain. This means they may be quieter than usual and they wont eat. They may drink more though, especially from a water bowl.

If Marlon remains the same over the next couple of hours I would contact the Vet for advice.

Janex

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the advice. He's wee'd in his hay box overnight and I've been giving him tummy rubs and he seems to have perked up a bit. He's just eaten all his pellets and had a run round the front room but I'll keep my eye on him.

He's due for his VHD jab at the end of the month so I'll get my vet to check his teeth. I'll pick up some infacol anyway, I used to keep this in for my Chinchillas!

I'm wondering if I kept him out too late last night, he was still running round at 1am this morning and he's normally such a lazy rabbit!

Thanks for your help!

Vic x

Just a quick update on Marlon.

After perking up a bit early on this afternoon he seemed to go off colour again, really quiet, no interest in his food. He wasn't able to lie down so he obviously had lots of tummy pain - I ended up with him on my knee giving him tummy rubs. Nipped out and picked up some infacol and literally by the time I got back he was racing round again and stuffing his face with hay!!

He's totally back to normal now and has been peeing and pooping - although they're a bit smaller than normal so I'll still be keepng a close eye on him!

I'm just relieved he's feeling better, it was so awful to see him like that, it's the first time he's been poorly since I got him.

Thanks Jane for your advice.

Vic x

Back