• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Houserabbit turned outside rabbit, can it be done??? pics now posted

kizzywizzy

New Kit
Can a total houserabbit be turned into an outside rabbit and still be happy and warm ect ect, any advice needed

Last edited:
No....!

Stewy used to be a house rabbit @ his previous home, and then they converted him to outside life and then I took him off their hands as they had "lost interest".

He had always been very very quiet and 'depressed' in his hutch. Until last Monday when I bought him back indoors because of fireworks and he turned into a totally different bun! He's now staying as a house rabbit and has got back into the routine perfectly!!

Also, I wouldnt recommend putting a rabbit that has been inside outdoors now, as they wouldnt have had a chance to get their winter coat.

L x

Can a total houserabbit be turned into an outside rabbit and still be happy and warm ect ect, any advice needed

I think so but probably not at this time of year because they may not have a proper winter coat. If you had to you would probably have to go down the roomy shed route and make sure that they had plenty of straw to keep warm in.

Jack lived with me as a house rabbit for the first few months after finding him, but this was mainly due to having him completely shaved. When his hair grew back, it irritated my hubbys asthma, so we made the decision to put him outside and find him a friend. I converted my shed, and along came Taz. It actually worked out better for Jack - a girlfriend and loads more room at all times, not just when I was home. I wouldn't put him out at this time of year to start with, but Jack went out early enough to build up a good thick coat. However, the disadvantage is that your relationship will change - no matter how much you try, you do not see them as much as you would if they are in the house. My first foster bun lived indoors for the 2 weeks I had him(short haired so didn't seem to irritate hubbys lungs) and I saw him more than my own. Good luck with your decision :wave:

house rabbit

I would'nt be putting him outside but my circumstances have changed i've lost my home and now ex partner and i've had to put him on the rehome site :cry: a lady offered to home him but said he would have to be an outside rabbit, so lots of advice needed, thanks for any

Yes they can :D Trip was a housebun for almost a year and is still a happy bunny now he lives outside. All my buns have lived free range in the house at some point and have adjusted fine to being moved outside :D

They can still be happy outside as long as they have a big enough hutch/run and they have plenty of toys to keep them occupied and yummy hay! :D The hutch needs to be big enough for them to jump about and stand up properly and would need to be protected from the wind and rain during winter though :D They can be kept warm easily with loads of hay to snuggle in, and you can get heatpads to put in the hutch and vetbed :D

I wouldnt do it this time of year though as its getting so cold :D x If he is going outside now it would need to be done very carefully x

No....!

Stewy used to be a house rabbit @ his previous home, and then they converted him to outside life and then I took him off their hands as they had "lost interest".

He had always been very very quiet and 'depressed' in his hutch. Until last Monday when I bought him back indoors because of fireworks and he turned into a totally different bun! He's now staying as a house rabbit and has got back into the routine perfectly!!

I think Stewy being depressed outside might have more to do with his previous owners putting him out there and loosing interest :? My buns live outside and are very happy :D x

pics of smuggles is he a lionhead??

DSC00058.jpg
DSC00056.jpg

Last edited:
Definately a lionhead, beautiful!

I also have a rabbit that was a houserabbit, free range. When I bonded her, her partner hated indoors so they both now live outside. She definately runs and jumps more now she is outside!

Ive just moved 4 of my 5 houserabbits outside about a month ago, and i cant believe the change in them:D They were kept in roomy pens in a spare bedroom where they mainly slept and ate, they had the odd run around, but chose to lounge around, even though they had plenty of room to play and stuff. Anyway now they have moved outside in to hutchs where they do have less room than they had indoors but they are more active and seem to be really enjoying themselves:D :D, its alot easier for me too to move them into their runs as it was a bit of a chore carting them up and down stairs to move them out, especially with 5 of them:roll: anyway I do worry about them a bit at night, as they have only been living outside for a month i dont know if they have their full winter coats yet but I have done all i can to make sure they are warm enough, each hutch has a thermal hutch cover and rain cover (homemade) ive given the single buns old fleeces to cuddle up in and pillows to rest on Emily uses hers as a duvet and gets under it:lol: they also have warm water bottles and heat pads they get covered over at the front with blankets at night and so far they are doing ok:D on cold days they have a clear shower curtain on the front so they still get light but it acts as a wind break and stops the cold drafts.

:wave: Defo the wrong time of year for a change like that. Unless he was going to be in like a heated shed with a friend or something.

Back