• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do these water bottles leak?

Do you always fill the bottles right to the top? Apparently, that stops them from leaking? I don't know myself cos I only use bowls!

thanks. i have been filling it to the top but it still leaks. I think I may buy that bottle. Thanks. do they learn how to use it quickly?

I use the Flat Bac bottle, and find that it doesn't leak at all. I always fill right to the top, and let the water come to room temperature before it put it on the cage (Evo also has a water bowl, so I can leave it off the cage for a while).

the ferplast bottles use the same valve type as the john hopewell bottles and from our experience they do NOT leak as we currently have 2 in the chins cage, and 2 in the big hutch and one of the little ones in the gerbil cage.

They are far better then the classics bottles anyway and a lot easier to clean as you can totally strip them down to clean.

I have a ferplast sippy and a regular bottle - the regular bottle (from wilkos) leaks loads but the sippy is grat and VERY rarely leaks. I agree with filling it up to the top to stop it leaking.

Shiv

I use the cheap wilkos ones and dont usually have any problems as long as i replace them regualrly though when i went out to feed the buns last night Emilys bottle had been leaking (its an older one that hasnt been replaced yet) anyway her hutch was swimming in water her cushion was dripping wet and when she ran under it to get to the door she got herself very wet and had to be brought indoors to dry off and warm up and had to completly redo her hutch at 11pm last night, poor little thing, dont think she had been like it long as I had been outside with them all afternoon and she was fine, i came in about 7:30pm and she was fine then too, i think she had pushed her cushion up against the bottle and it had pushed the valve in which made the water pour out:roll: anyway she dried off inside and she had a nice dry clean hutch to go back to with her nice warm snugglesafe which she immediatly hopped onto:D

I have bought 2 new styles of bottle from Pets@home so ill let you know how i get on with those

i will have to try some of them bottles to as mine leak aswell. its not a bad leak just makes a patch of the bedding wet. all bottles should be made aint-leak nowdays :)

Well if they only leak when they aren't full should i stop the animals drinking from them to keep them full all the time?

Mine leak badly so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong...

i thought it was just me! Mine started leaking a while ago and I've replaced it with a bowl for now, but definitely need to get something else.

The only time I find that the John Hopewell bottles leak is when they get dirt in the valve, if they are leaking ensure that they are clean properly. I have had occassions when a few particles have got in when I am filling them up and they have leaking. Getting dirt out is not always easy when it is in the valve but they work perfectly afterwards.

John Hopewell bottles are the same valves as the bottles you are showing, so a good inspection and clean should hopefully resolve the problem.

Back