• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does spayed

serz

Warren Scout
hiya i was wondering if this is true. i read that "having female rabbits spayed is really important. spayed females are likley to live longer than thier unspayed sisters. up to 80% of unspayed female rabbits develop uterine cancer by 5 years of age"

is this true as i wasnt going to get my female spayed but if this is true i am going to get her spayed as i dont want to take that risk of her developing the cancer.

any imfomation will be greatly appreciated :)

yeh unfortunatly its a very true thing, i didnt want to put my girl through surgery but when i found out it really pushed me 2 change my mind! xxxx

Its absolutely true Im afraid.

Speying also calms does down and makes them nicer pets as their hormones can make them quite stroppy and aggressive and induce phantom pregnancies.

my previous rabbits were unspayed and they were really agressive, lunging at you and everything. They died early but not from uterine cancer.

I would always have a doe spayed unless she couldn't be for health reasons.

It prevents womb cancer but also stops the trauma of phantom pregnancies, which are very stressful for bunny and owner!

I have a continental giant called Mo, (as well as a french lop called Roman)
Roman is a boy and has been 'done', but Mo is a girl and hasn't been speyed yet...I want to get her speyed as i understand it may help in the litter situation(they are both house bunnies) and she is very messy, but unfortunatley she is suffering with really bad hocks...they seem to be getting worse(vet treatment is ongoing) so the vet has said its best not to spey her at the moment:(
Phantom pregnancies? Awww that must be really traumatic.
xx

Back when I only had two rabbits, I had a buck and a doe living next to each other, neither were neutered. The female was quite aggressive to start with, but seemed to actually calm down when I got the buck, EXCEPT: she had fake pregnancies almost all the time which caused her to get 10 times worse:shock: I got her spayed. Such a female should never ever be bred anyway and I didn't want to risk any accidental breedings, at the same time I would hate to loose her to cancer or anything, despite her bad temper. (She was my very first rabbit and I still love her lots)

ok thts decided it then i am definatly going to get her spayed. i have an outside rabbit and i have had him done. and i will get the female spayed aswell but does anyone no if there wil be ok to go ni together or will the just be mating all the time. (no she wont be able to get pregnant but wouldnt like that to be happening all the time)

ok thts decided it then i am definatly going to get her spayed. i have an outside rabbit and i have had him done. and i will get the female spayed aswell but does anyone no if there wil be ok to go ni together or will the just be mating all the time. (no she wont be able to get pregnant but wouldnt like that to be happening all the time)

Thats sounds like a good plan :thumb: Although she'll need time to recover from the spay first, and then bonding on neutral area etc. Just make sure you have a vet who is experienced with rabbits and spaying, as not all are :D

Back