• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi in Nottinghamshire

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Received a letter from my vets today (located in Nottingham city centre) stating that they have treated 4 rabbits with myxi in a 24 hour period. :(

Amy

Might be an idea to take them for the booster straight away, just in case.

I'm sure you know this, but... vaccinated rabbits can still get a milder form of myxi, so take precautions like putting fly screens or net curtains on the front of hutches and making sure you haven't got any standing water in your garden to attract mozzies.

Also, if you have other pets like cats and dogs, make sure their flea treament is up to date, cuz fleas from wild rabbits can jump on them and hitch a ride to yur rabbit :(

Amy

Might be an idea to take them for the booster straight away, just in case.

I'm sure you know this, but... vaccinated rabbits can still get a milder form of myxi, so take precautions like putting fly screens or net curtains on the front of hutches and making sure you haven't got any standing water in your garden to attract mozzies.

Also, if you have other pets like cats and dogs, make sure their flea treament is up to date, cuz fleas from wild rabbits can jump on them and hitch a ride to yur rabbit :(

Amy

Thanks for that Amy :) I will be phoning the vets first thing Monday. I don't have any standing water in the garden and i have fly screen on the outside hutch. I will check when the cats are due to be "Flea'ed" as they do like to "kiss" the buns through the run mesh :rolleyes:.

I am a bit scared now:shock:

Back