• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

choosing which rabbits to bond

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering if theres a rule of thumb when choosing a pair of rabbits to try to bond - should you pair a rabbit with one of a similar size, or a similar age, or a similar temperament? or would a calm rabbit paired with a nervous rabbit have a good influence on it? or is it not really predictable?

ta

I would try and match them a bit in terms of size and temprement but thats not to say anything else doesnt work. My first rabbit was a massive big softy with me but when I introduced silky he turned into agressive bunny from hell. It took me ages to get them sorted out. Silky is very placid and timid doesnt even fight back but would box me. When I took her to be matched up she was totally dominated by a bigger bunny but when we introduced gimli who quite timid and a real cutey they were fine. Once youve tried one or two you might get the hang of theirbehaviour with other bunnies. I think similiar size helps if a scuffle breaks out

my boy was a confident friendly little guy, and i bonded him with my rescue bun pebbles who was very nervous and shy, she has been neglected. anyway....she is alot better now because she has domino4 an influence.

as long as the othe rbunny doesnt bully the shy one, i think its a good thing. domino used to run up on my lap and when i got pebbles, a day after she cauitsouly came over and sat right near me leg. she wasnt ready to sit on me, but i know if she had been alone that would have taken alot longer

Bonding a skittish rabbit with a bolder one will usually help the skittish one to become more settled and trusting.

Size wise, it depends on temperment.

Back