• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long has your bunny been poorly?

hornetcarp

Warren Scout
i know there are a few of us nursing our bunnies that have been poorly for a while now.

my baby has been poorly for coming up 5 weeks now.

i'm hoping there will be some improvment soon because she doesn't seem to be getting any better, if anything slightly worse:(

if it is nodular myxi she has does anyone know when the 'peak' of the illness is or how lond it will last? i know one of you with a floss has had it 8 weeks now!!

is she getting better now? if so after how many weeks did she start to improve?

my baby is so full of cold and both eyes are now weepy. lots of sneezing and snorting. she's off her normal pellet food and not pooping as much. still enjoying a carrot or apple though.

still seems quite well in herself, plenty of licking, still cleaning etc.

it's getting me down though, very draining:(

I've just logged on to try and find out the same answer.

Evie was diagnosed with myxi 12 days ago. Since then I've searched the internet but it's really difficult to find information about the progress of the disease in vaccinated rabbits isn't it?

Charlie has been ill, on and off, for about two months now. He was ill will snuffles on his chest then got over that - we had about 2 weeks of good health then he started with his wobbling and head tilt. He has been like this for just over two weeks now.

I can understand exactly what you say about it being very draining having a poorly rabbit. I feel in a constant state of anxiety and worry about him and now I feel guilty that I can't spend as much time as normal with him as he can't come downstairs anymore. He is constantly on my mind.

Can I ask 2 Questions of all those folk whose myxi vaccinated bunnies are still struggling towards full recovery :
1.How long after their vaccination did they come down with the symptoms?
2.What treatment and advice did the vets give?
Thanks, Hilda

Last edited:
Can I ask " Questions of all those folk whose myxi vaccinated bunnies are still struggling towards full recovery :
1.How long after their vaccination did they come down with the symptoms?
2.What treatment and advice did the vets give?
Thanks, Hilda

1. vaccinated 3/9/07
first signs 17/9/07

i guess that's why she's got it quite bad as not enough time to build up proper immunity??

2. been to vets 3 times with mine, they think it's myxi (in a vaccinated rabbit) but haven't given a definite diagnosis.

only treatment has been 0.6ml of Baytril twice a day for the majority of the 5 weeks so far.......

1. Four months after vaccination
2. Antibiotics (engemycin on alternate days), fucithalmic eye ointment twice daily and metacam when needed. If breathing problems start we will use bisolvin.

Forgot to mention the advice to keep Evie with her companions and not split them up.

1 Vaccinated in May. Got nodular myxi in Aug.

2. Very mild form so only offered Baytril, 0.5ml twice a day.

Chester caught it 4mths after he had his booster.
He was on .4ml of baytril for 3wks and tiacil eye drops. vet checked him 3 times.
He was a frenchie and weighed 13lb so have wondered whether the dose was enough. He was improving and then suddenly went ill and died in one day in spite of inj and fluid treatment. Pam

Back