• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help for neighbour with baby bunnies.....

charlie3

Warren Scout
Hi, my next door neighbours rabbits have had babies. She found them this morning, ? 1 to 2 days old! It was a complete shock to her as thought they had 2 does. There were 5 altogether, 2 were already dead this morning, and a further 2 have died this afternoon. She took them to the vets (as suggested when she phoned them) and has been told to give them kitten milk which they have provided. The vet has told her to feed them every 2 hours!!!! This seems alot. Don't wild rabbits feed their young twice a day????? The babies couldn't be left with mum as she kept attacking them. My neighbour has separeted the doe and the buck now.

Any advice greatly welcome to pass on.

Thanks, Claire

Sorry can't help as I have no experience with rearing babies. Try using the search facility (advance search) and tap in words like "rearing babies" to bring up links from relevant posts.

Is she going to advise/complain to whoever sold them and missexed them?

Sadly hand rearing newborn kits is often unsuccessful :cry:
I was told that FULL FAT Goats Milk is better than Kitten Milk.

As the Doe was with the Buck when she gave birth she is very likely to be *pregnant again* Does are extremely fertile immediately after they give birth.
I would advise your friend discusses 'options' re the Doe with a Vet.

The newborn will need to be kept warm on a heatpad

Janex

Any milk substitute we can provide will be insuficient compared to that of a does which is why they need to be fed more often....it just isnt nourishing enough.

Did the vet instruct your friend to wipe their bottoms with damp cotton to help them toilet after feeding?

Yeah, baby bunnies raised by humans need to be fed more often, not sure why though...
Its true its hard hand-rearing kits, its easier if they have gotten first milk from their mother, the first few hours after giving birth their milk is extra nutritious, many baby rabbits that loose their moms or are taken before this dies because they haven't gotten this first milk.

They have the newborn on a heat pad. Just been next door, the little one looks very lively. I'm not sure if the vet told them to wipe it's bottom, i'll go back and ask, and advise they do this.

They are quite willing to feed the newborn every 2 hours if this is correct????

Thanks

Its usually in the region of 2-3 hours depending on how well it is feeding.

They will need to keep wiping its bottom until it pees and poops, babies cant toilet by themselves at this age and need to be stimulated. Mum would do this by licking them.

Ditto what Sooz and Jane have said, do get them to get goats milk instead, its the only milk ive ever had success with when rearing orphans.
Don't feed from the fridge though, either leave the amount to stand at room temp for half hour or gently warm until its just tepid.
They def need to get the doe in to be spayed if they don't want another litter!

I've just looked on several websites and most are saying to feed the kits, even when newborn TWICE a day, even for domestic orphans. I've printed off lots of info for them next door so hopefully it will help.

If you can get the required amount of milk down them in two sittings I would be absolutely astonished.

The info says 2mls daily???? I'm not sure how much it has been taking at each feed. I only popped round briefly has just got up after working a night shift!!!!!!

Thanks

The info says 2mls daily???? For the first couple of days. I'm not sure how much it has been taking at each feed. I only popped round briefly has just got up after working a night shift!!!!!!

Thanks

the doe feeds her kits 1-2 times a day.

kitten milk is not a very good idea, I agree with the others, go with goats milk.

The only thing you can realy do is make sure their bellies are being full and keep them warm, if you can I would suggest pulling some of the fur from under the doe's belly to put with the kit, as this is what they naturaly do.
If it doesn't come out easily just snip some with the scissors.

Also another thing you could try doing, is putting the doe on someones lap and putting the baby on her stomach so it can find her teat and feed that way.

hope all goes well. :wave:

Back