• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Electrocution

racheld69

Mama Doe
:wave: I got home yesterday to find that Barney had got under a chest of drawers and dragged out the extension lead and chewed through it - right to the live wires in about 3 places and chewed off most the plastic on about a metre of it. I have no idea how he didn't get fried - he is a very lucky bunny. Is strange coz in the month I have had him he hasn't even looked at a wire (I was conscious of it at first but as he didn't go near them thought it was fine). I think he must have tripped the switch luckily which is controlled by my neighour so they would have switched it back on before i got home. Just thought I would post this to remind everyone to watch their wires even if they think their bunny doesn't chew them!:shock:

Last edited:
He is one lucky bunny. I really don't understand why they like to chew cords so much- they can't taste all that good.

When I first got MacGyver, he was confined to the hallway upstairs where my (now ex) boyfreind's room was. He has a cable wire just laying on the floor running along the wall. In the 2 years that he lived there, he never once bothered with it. Now MacGyver lives with me and he has eaten countless cords, including- but not limited to: 2 cell phone charges ($48USD each), 1 Laptop cord ($80USD) 1 digital camera cord ($20USD) and my alarm clock cord ($30USD) plus me getting in trouble for being late to work.

Does he not know how many YUMMY treats that would have bought!!! And I know people are going to say "you need to watch him better" but I swear he does this in stealth mode! You don't know until it's too late. He def lives up to his name!

Simba nibbled loads of cables when i first got him.. before i knew they did it and before this forum was started ;) Luckily none of them bother with cables anymore and those that are visible are covered in tubing anyway. I was told that they chew them cos they are like tree roots in their burrows and they have to bite them to get past sort of thing:? But ive never understood how they do it and dont get hurt :? It may not have tripped the switch it never did when Simba ate through my cables :roll:

Back