• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I use? Urgent help required!

Hello.

Bella is out on the table here with me now as I have just cleaned out her indoor cage, it is now time to put in sawdust over the bottom but we have ran out! What should I use as my mum on the phone just said stredded newspaper but thats how my hamster got a skin condition, please help!

use some shredded newspaper & maybe kitchen roll just now then pop out and get some more bedding. A couple of hours isn't going to hurt.

My first bunny, Benji, used to have spaper on the floor of her hutch, with wood shavings over it... She never suffered any skin condition from this... Although, I had to stop using it after a month, because she'd take great delight in tearing the newspaper up and flinging it around. :oops: I'm sure it'd be okay to use temporarily?

My first bunny, Benji, used to have spaper on the floor of her hutch, with wood shavings over it... She never suffered any skin condition from this... Although, I had to stop using it after a month, because she'd take great delight in tearing the newspaper up and flinging it around. :oops: I'm sure it'd be okay to use temporarily?

Aww bless little Benji :lol: I have just put in newspaper for now as I'm going to get some on this Monday coming as thats when mum gets her money. Is shredded newspaper ok for 2 in a half days??

use some shredded newspaper & maybe kitchen roll just now then pop out and get some more bedding. A couple of hours isn't going to hurt.

I have just put shredded paper with some straw on right now. Its not going to be just for a couple of hours, its going to be for 2 in a half days, is that bad??

she will be fine! you bunny mummy fuss pot! tis not a hemergency!;) :lol:
mine have newspaper a lot and ive never had any problems.:) personally i would much prefer to use newspaper than shavings and sawdust as it is cleaner and healthier.

she will be fine! you bunny mummy fuss pot! tis not a hemergency!;) :lol:
mine have newspaper a lot and ive never had any problems.:) personally i would much prefer to use newspaper than shavings and sawdust as it is cleaner and healthier.

Ok - I'll see how it goes and will update you soon! Sorry for worrying, just trying my best for Bella :roll:

Oh no! Thats what happened to my hamster, Bubbles! Why wouldn't you use sawdust, what do you use then? I have just put shredded newspaper in Bella's indoor cage - HELP!!!

I wouldnt use sawdust either...its just not recommended. Theres loads you can use - vet bed, straw, hay etc

Sawdust or shavings are not recomended for many small animals due to them breathing in small particles, some small animals are prone to dry skin and fungal infections if they are kept on sawdust others have been found to have small particles of shavings caught in the tiny creases of their genitals :oops:

Sawdust or shavings are not recomended for many small animals due to them breathing in small particles, some small animals are prone to dry skin and fungal infections if they are kept on sawdust others have been found to have small particles of shavings caught in the tiny creases of their genitals :oops:

What are you saying, I shouldn't use sawdust but if I do I am harming Bella?!

Back