• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection worse!! rolling over!

Jupiter

Warren Scout
My poor Charlie started rolling over last night, it was terrible to watch him. His eyes were spinning too he was so dizzy and couldn't get his balance. He eventually did and seemed fine afterwards, a little quiet. I've decided that he will have to stay in his room until he is a little better as the act of bringing him down the stairs is too traumatic for all of us. I feel a bit sad as during the evening he loves being down with us all. We'll just have to take it in turns and sit in his room with him, poor love.

Can they actually get better from this?? We just seem to be going from bad to worse. He only started wobbling a bit two weeks ago, and despite the medication, he now has this head tilt and rolling. Will it get any worse?? I didn't sleep a wink last night - had to leave his light on in his room as the dark seemed to make him roll over more. Anyone got any good advice or tips or just anyone who has been through this to let me know what else I can expect? :(

He is on 1.5mg Baytril daily (he weighs about 3 to 3.3kg). He is also on Panacur (28 days). Has had one shot of anti inflammatry last week. I hate seeing him like this. Last night he fell over into his water bowl, poor thing was soaked!

Maybe you could ask your vet about giving the baytril X2 daily?

Only a suggestion as anytime I have been given Baytril it has always been twice a day. Alternatively maybe a stronger antibiotic?

I have first hand experience of EC but not inrelation to neurological issues so I cant answer with regards to the progressive deterioration but it may be worth considering investagative measures further if you see no improvement soon.

Jane, thanks for your reply, I will ask my vet next time I see him - I really don't think Charlie can travel to the vet though, I'm probably going to have to get him to come here.

Did your bun actually roll over and over like Charlie? In comparison, his first symptoms were really mild and despite all the meds he has got worse. Do you think this is normal? I've restricted him to his room today, however, i think he has been saving up his poos for the tray in the bathroom. When I let him in there though he started spinning again so his tray is in his room again, although he doesn't seem to want to use it there.

:(

Back