• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I need a big cage from spay?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
As I may have to keep the girls indoors after their spay, and they are not meant to be moving around much, can I get a smaller cage? If it's cheaper, my parents couldn't mind them indoors. And we can use the fireguard as a pen against the wall when they are ready to move around more. Is this ok? What size cage is suitable?

Yep smaller cage is fine. They only need to be indoors for between 24-48 hours.

Remember that its freezing outside now so dont have the heating on in the room they will be staying in or it will be more of a shock to them when they go outside.

Last edited:
I didnt keep mine in a cage and would have thought a pen would be fine as long as they have somewhere comfy to sleep like a cat bed or something :D

I might be wrong but both my girls were free range in the bathroom for a couple of days after their spays with lots of blankets and vetbed to lay on and there was no problems with them jumping about or moving too much. After their ops they just wanted to lay down and rest and that is what they did :D x

we put Alvin in his pen in the room we sit in.... he didnt try to get out neither.... lots of lying down and resting his ouch area on the scrunched up vetbed.... took about 2-3 days before he started to ping his cage to get out.... after a week (was supposed to be two, dont tell my vet) we put him back into his room and gave him free reign on the house again....little sod went mad at the wallpaper and ran about crazy... luckily he healed fast... :lol: :lol:

I just penned Smokey in too when she had her spay.

When I had Inky neutered, I put him in a small hutch in the hall. He was fine in there and he just wandered out when he wanted attention.

Cool im not the only one that did that then :D I dont think they will run about and be jumping around after an op anyway, mine just wanted to sleep and recover :D

r u going to be putting them in a pen then? its worthwhile putting a sheet down to protect your carpet dependent on how well trained they are x

Back