• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now its getting colder

I just bulk up the bedding with extra straw and hay. Mine are in sheds now, so not too draughty. Last year I had lagging jackets round the hutches to keep the worst of the cold off them and they were all fine. They fluffed up with their winter coats and looked really snug. I know there was a thread a while ago and some people use the snuggle safe pad ( heatable in the microwave and lasts for a few hours). Hope that helps. Welcome to RU btw!:wave:

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely bulk up with straw for now and investigate that heat pad.
I fear our bunny years ago died from the cold( it wasnt even that cold, I woke up and she was gone:( ) and I am so worried about having dawarf breeds. Ive even got a neighbour pricing up the cost of a lean to to house them in next to the house( which will have a heater etc) Hubby who doesnt understand 'pets' is having a coronary:lol:

Rabbits are a lot hardier than you think! My 2 lionheads have an insulated hutch with snuggle safes and loads of bedding, and prefer to sit out in the run:roll: :lol:

Ive just finished insulating my playhouse just in time for the first frost,i used poly board and hardbourd to seal it in,rick:D

Thanks!
Ive put extra bedding in and I have an old blanket over the front and top for now to keep out the draughts and Im investigating a hutch cover and possibly a heat pad:D

bunnies always cope better in the cold weather than they do in the heat, so try not to panic too much.:D

In my sheds I put extra shreddded paper mixed with lots more hay.

Just lined hutch with cardboard. Very insulating.

Mind you, like someone else commented and I have before, no matter how snuggily the hutch is, they are more often than not in the run through the night.

Cara

rabbits in winter

what if your rabbits hutch is on the grass,every morning the grass is wet,but he still likes to sit out in the run,is this ok or will it make him ill?

As far as I remember from having buns when little wet grass was just fine, so long as the run isnt left out in the rain and the buns have an area to shelter in if it rains... I hope thats right!
Our hutch/run combo is on concrete at the mo because its the most sheltered part of the garden

Back