• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gizmo's got a poorly tum! she's really poorly and i'm so worried

Took my girl gizmo to the vet today because she' been on and off her food. This morning she didn't touch it and i'm getting really worried.

The vet said that she's appears to be bloated and doesn't like it when her tummy is touched. So she's been prescribed 0.8ml of Metocloparmide three times daily and then 1.5ml of septrin once daily.

Hopefully the medicine will kick in soon as she's not a happy bun at all!

Anyone else ever experienced this! I've never experienced this before and would like some advice. I know that if she doesn't eat soon i'll have to syringe feed her. But i'm hoping it won't come to that as i don't want to stress her out more than she is already!

If i do syringe feed her what should i give her?

Healing vibes needed please

Last edited:
Was she given any painkiller? Did the vet give any suggestion of the cause of the stasis/bloat? Was the gut stimulant injected? You can buy recovery food, mine came from the vet, not sure if you can buy it elsewhere? Other than that you could try mixing her normal food with water and syringing that if it is high in fibre? Sorry for all the questions! Hope she feels better soon :)

No she wasn't given any painkiller, but she was given a jab to help things move along.

Wished she was given some though. She not herself at all, she can't be bothered to do anything at the mo. I've liquidised her excel food and syringed some in. It's mad normally gizmo would practically tell me to ****** off if i tried to do something like this, but she's not interested in wasting her energy!

I'll go to the vet tomorrow morning and get some proper syringe food! And perhaps get her in to have some painkiller jabs aswell. Wish there was more i could do.

I wasn't given any really explanations of what it could be other than if this didn't work then they would explore further!

Hope she'll be okay

shame!

winnie went off her food when she came home from being neutered, she didn't eat all day and her belly started to swell a little, i took her to the vets and she was given a jab to "move things along" and it worked, give it a little time it didn't work instantly for winnie but she came around in the end, i used some syringe food and to be honest it was no different to mushy excel!

To me the situation is screaming out 'painkillers' and I would be gutted that my vet did not give any (well actually I wouldnt have left the vets without it even if I had to stage a sit in).

Could you try giving her 0.5mls Infacol every 3-4 hours and some gentle circular tummy rubs?

Getting her to move about a bit will help mobilise the guts.

I would also recommend using Probiotics in conjunction with Septrin, especially as it is more potent than Baytril which is normally prescribed in these situations.

EDIT- Is that Metaclopromide dose right? It seems very strong to me :? or is it oral that you giving?

Last edited:
To me the situation is screaming out 'painkillers' and I would be gutted that my vet did not give any (well actually I wouldnt have left the vets without it even if I had to stage a sit in).

Could you try giving her 0.5mls Infacol every 3-4 hours and some gentle circular tummy rubs?

Getting her to move about a bit will help mobilise the guts.

I would also recommend using Probiotics in conjunction with Septrin, especially as it is more potent than Baytril which is normally prescribed in these situations.

EDIT- Is that Metaclopromide dose right? It seems very strong to me :? or is it oral that you giving?

I agree with all this, or maybe go back to the vets before they close to get some painkiller?

If the metaclopramide is oral, surely it will do no good, as it won't be absorbed if the gut has slowed??

I agree with all this, or maybe go back to the vets before they close to get some painkiller?

If the metaclopramide is oral, surely it will do no good, as it won't be absorbed if the gut has slowed??

I would definately agree with the painkillers, if she is in pain then she won't want to eat :( I have been given oral metaclop when mine have stopped eating, but their guts hadn't gone into stasis, just slowed, so the metaclop could be absorbed. If theres any doubt I would want them to have it injected though. My vets have injected it when Bailey has been in proper stasis. Maybe some fibreplex would be good too? Just to get some extra fibre and probiotics in? Hope she feels better soon :)

I agree - your poor bunny is in pain and needs metacam.

0.8 ml oral metoclopramide isn't a high dose - mine get 2.5 ml when they are bad!

I agree - your poor bunny is in pain and needs metacam.

0.8 ml oral metoclopramide isn't a high dose - mine get 2.5 ml when they are bad!

It dosnt state if its oral or S/C......0.8ml would be a very high dose for injectable metaclopromide every four hours, thats normally around 0.15- 0.2mls.

I have never given oral metaclopromide so I dont know the usual dose rates for that.

just wanted to say i hope things get better tomorrow. i have had a similar experience this week.:(
fingers crossed x x x x x

gizmo is gone

This isn't fair, i knew she wasn't well but i've never experience this before and we've woke up to find she's died.

We brought her in to keep her warm and gave her medicine as prescribed orally. But she was really weak late night and there was nothing i could do. She wasn't given painkillers and i didn't realise that she needed them. I should though. I feel really annoyed with myself. I go to my vet for help. In the past i have known him to be very good.

She was only four, this isn't fair:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can't believe she's gone... She was hoping about munching hay on thursday night.:( :cry: :cry:

I will post her up on the rainbow bridge

just wished we knew what exactly it was, the vet said it could be a foreign body. But that doesn't help, I got three other bunns to think about and i don't want to loose them!

I know there are ways to find out, but that's not going to happen. She's at peace now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :

You could contact your vet and ask about a post portem, I know a few people who have had them done.

Binky Free Little One :cry: xx

What causes bloated tummies?

My bunnies are fine but I hear a lot about buns gatting bloated tummies.

Just wanted to know the cause so I can avoid it happening. Is it overfeeding or can it happen without reason sometimes?

gizmo was a healthy and well loved rabbit and her death has nothing to do with being overfed!!!!

I blame myself but i know for definate that she was never overfed!! I know that i did everything i could. It happened so quickly that we just didn't realise the serverity, untill it was too late.

This time yesterday she was running around her hutch!!

I must say that i found your comment quite hurtfull.

There are so many reasons a rabbit can get bloat/stasis and many times the actual cause is never found but the symptoms are treated.

It is generally only cases of recurrent GI problems where investagative measures are taken.

I am very sorry you lost Gizmo Gem.

I think perhaps when you have gotten over the shock you should speak to your vet in more depth and find out why he didnt prescribe any painkillers, hopefully he will bare it in mind for future cases.

:( :( :(

I know that i did everything i could. It happened so quickly that we just didn't realise the serverity, untill it was too late.

This time yesterday she was running around her hutch!

I'm so sorry you've lost Gizmo. I lost my darling Harvey in similar circumstances in June. Took him to the vet as soon as I knew something was wrong. He was being treated and I thought he would be ok. Took him back to the vet on the Friday evening and they gave him more medication. By the time I got home he'd gone - a real huge shock - but like you with Gizmo you take them to the vet and expect they'll do what needs to be done. I don't blame my vet - Harv just didn't have the strength - but it's hard not to feel that they've missed something or not done something.

Sending you hugs.

Rebec x

Back