• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

I think Georgie might have mites I looked in her fur just now and have seen like little oblong things/circle things, very very tiny, crawling on her hair. Georgie herself has no bald patches or sores. I just noticed a small white flake on her back. I had been eating bread while holding her so thought it was a crumb or something. Then there was another and I wondered if it was flaky skin. So, I began to check her fur and saw these things in her fur. Only a few though. Is there a treatment you could recommend? Do you think there is a possiblity it could develop into mange?

Esther x

Last edited:
Get some Ivomectin (sp) from the vets...if its only minor drops should do the trick otherwise they usually give a course of 2-3 injections to kill the mites.

Are they white in colour?

I would get the vets to check them out....when Bobby and harley had mites they were like little white spiders :?

Thanks is there any possibility that if left these type of mites can cause mange? They didn't seem to be borrowing they were just crawling on her hair strands

Esther x

Do you know how much a check up for mites would be would be? Just an average because I guess it is different in most places just the min and max would be good please thank you

Esther x

it sounds more like lice than mites. if money is tight and they are otherwise well i would try some of the beaphar spot on stuff from PAH (also avaliable online from vetmedic) . I have used it on a friends bunny with success . if in any doubt about their health id see the vet though. i know with my vet you would be looking at 30-50 ££s depending on type/frequency of treatment. the beaphar stuff is about a fiver i think. dont bother with sprays and powders and shampoos- they are **** and unpleasant for the bunny too IMHO.:)

just noticed you have a chicken in your siggy- my chickens had lice that sounded just like that years ago so you may find that that is where your problem stems from? not that i know much about it really! i used spot -on on them too on advice from an avian vet but i cant remember the dose. (it was like 1 drop or something) if there is a chance that they are all infected you would need to speak to your vet, get them all treated appropriately and do the housing with a suitable insecticide aswell probably. if you need stuff for your hen try your local farmers merchant or the domestic fowl trust who have an online/postal service. sorry for being all complicated :roll:

Hi:wave:

I found mites in Fudge's fur this week, minute grey things in the white bits of his fur. They were so small, very hard to see. I couldn't find any when I was trying to show the vet but eventually found a few which he checked out after catching some on sellotape. I'm treating him with Ivermectin (had to look at leaflet to check spelling Sooz22 !) which will hopefully get rid of them. Not sure how much it cost as he had his myx vaccination the same time.

I asked how he could have got them and he said mums often pass them on to their young and some rabbits can get them if there has been a change in their life, stress etc. As he lost his partner 2 months ago the vet said that would have caused this outbreak. I'll have to give him even more cuddles now as he's obviously feeling a bit lonely.

Do you know how much a check up for mites would be would be? Just an average because I guess it is different in most places just the min and max would be good please thank you

Esther x

Oh no I hope Geogie hasn't got mites but if she has then I hope she will get better soon! I know they are both completly different animals but its almost the same situation, My first and unfountunatly last hamster, Bubbles, She had mites and went to the vets and she was given antibiotics to take and then the next time she went, (Two days before she sadly died :cry:), She has a strong prescription of antibiotics, (and something else I can't remember as it had such a long name!). The minimum of a check up for mites is around £0 - £3 but could be a little higher depending on what/if they give you anything for Georgie.

Ivermectin

Guys,

I use Ivermectin every 6 months on my buns, guineas, ferrets & will use on Rats we've just got. I buy it from a private guinea pig breeder and they're much much cheaper than the vets, I have 1 injection from the vets, cost nearly £18 and it's gotta be repeated to be effective if they already have a problem, if you treat every 6 months as preventative then it's one oral dose. I pay about £10-£15 for a bottle which does them all!!! you might be as well to try and find a local breeder who can get it for you than going through the vets.

We used to use the Bob Martin spot-on for small animals which is £4.99 a pack - does 1 bunny or 2-3 guineas, but the problem with this - we found is that it can cause a localised skin reaction :?

My smuggles had mites on his ears through infected hay or straw a friend gave us, he lost fur on his ears cos he was scratching at them, i took him to the p.d.s.a and he had to have a course of 4 injections, he is well now and his fur has grown back

there's nothing wrong with getting injections from the vets, but it can be very very expensive and if you've lots of animals and feel experienced and confident enough, it's often easier and cheaper to get the medication and give it yourself :)

Back