• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh...Caspian again :S

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
He has the squits this morning :?

I gave him some Infacol last night for his tummy as it was feeling very hard again though everything was running OK and now he has the runs :shock:

Could it have been the Infacol? Its the only thing he had yesterday that was 'different'.

well as you noticed he had a hard tummy BEFORE you gave him the infacol, there must have been something brewing in there :? Did he have a coccidiostat when he had problems before?

Yep, he has been on Coxoid for 14 days....7 full strength and 7 half strength.

His tummy is never 'not' hard.....it just has varying degrees of hardness and yesterday was quite bad.

Maybe you should ask your vet for the recommended coccidiostat, which is sulfaquinoxaline? I know there are lots of different types of coccidia organism, and coxoid is developed to treat the ones commonly found in birds, not rabbits - as he seems to have an ongoing problem I'd try something different. The dosage for sulfaquinoxaline is given in this article if your vet is unsure http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171332.htm&word=coccidia,rabbits
although it's possible he just has a damaged gut now, and will never be right - it's worth a try?

I'm no expert on coccidiosis, but Caspian's illness doesn't really sound like that to me, and Sooz would have other rabbits come down with it.

Can't offer any alternative diagnosis tho'. :(

Amy

Im gonna start him on gastric ulcer meds (zantac?) next week. I cant get him under a GA until he is stabilised.

Im quite convinced its not Cocciddia, it just dosnt seem to fit. I asked the vets about getting him onto Trimethoprim as I have some of that here but they dont feel thats the answer especially as wiping out his current cociddia imunity could leave him even more prone to it due to his low 'good gut' flora.

The most likely causes at the minute are a gastric ulcer or IBS.

Im gonna start him on gastric ulcer meds (zantac?) next week. I cant get him under a GA until he is stabilised.

Im quite convinced its not Cocciddia, it just dosnt seem to fit. I asked the vets about getting him onto Trimethoprim as I have some of that here but they dont feel thats the answer especially as wiping out his current cociddia imunity could leave him even more prone to it due to his low 'good gut' flora.

The most likely causes at the minute are a gastric ulcer or IBS.

Really sorry to hear that Caspian is not too good today :cry:
I do hope his tummy problems resolve

Janex

Constantly in his water and on his food plus Fiberplex (had to buy from the vets as postal order still nor here :evil: ).

Back