• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how can you tell if a male has been neutered?

abby

New Kit
I have a male rabbit, approx 18 mnths - 2 years old, i rehomed him through the free ads in february so don't know his background. When i got him he was living with 2 male guineas, and still is, and though they get on brilliantly i would love to bond him with a rabbit friend. I know he needs to be neutered to do this but i was wondering if he already is. He is very docile, never mounts the guinea pigs, never sprays as far as i know, doesn't smell. He's so docile he even lets the 2 male guinea pigs lay on his head and he grooms them. Is there a way to see if he's been neutered or will i need a vet to tell me?Sorry if this sems like a silly question but I've never owned a rabbit before.

:wave: Hi, If you pop him down to the vets I'm sure they'll able to tell you if he's been done or not.. I know with a female its not always possible to tell.
Your bun would be much better off with a bunny friend, I've heard of some very sad cases where buns have killed their piggie friends :( don't get me wrong I doubt the bun would mean to hurt the piggie but they can kick out and hurt by accident.

Can you see his balls? :lol: They *should* be obvious if you take a look and he is not neutered [but they can be pulled into the body sometimes, especially if it is cold] - if you're unsure then get your vet to check :)

While on this topic, do the empty sacks become hard and shrivel up over time ?... just that I noticed this on my Netherland..

I would have thought they would have stayed as just empty sacks.... :?:

Empty sack do shrivel and dry up and eventually just disappear over time but that can take quite a few months to happen.

Intact rabbit balls are rounded and a healthy pink colour, and very obvious on either side of the penis.

Back