• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay

twee

Young Bun
Emily was spayed today and is currently in our lounge in a small hutch. Henry unfortunately is having to stay outdoors as no way to house him indoors with her. Do you think it ok to let them be together in their run tomorrow, but then seperate again tomorrow night. The vets advised that she should spend a couple of nights indoors.

Am no expert and have a neutered boy, not a spayed girl, however, I thought you had to keep them completely separated for a while after as the boy might try to mount the girl and cause serious damage. If I were you I wouldn't put them together yet, at least until someone verifies this. :)

I'm kind of wondering the same thing, as both of mine were done yesturday, and wanted to know when it would be safe to try bonding. But I'm affraid that choci might do damage to lily if put together to soon after their ops. I was thinking at least two weeks if not more. I hope someone will come along and tell us.

vikki:wave:

must be tired, hadn't thought of that. Will postpone until i hear from someone with more knowledge. :)

don't know if your refering to twee or me or both of us, but my two new each other through the wire and have settled down side by side before now (through the wire)

Ok im guessing they were already together and if Henry isn't the humpy type with her and Emily is totally back to her usual self tomorrow she should be fine to go back outside and back to living with Henry. Its not good to keep changing the temperature by going in and out of the house :D
We insist on bonded buns coming into the surgery together even for neutering so that recovery is less stressful for them and we never have problems :D

If however they are not bonded yet, leave it 10 to 14 days for her to heal so that if there are any tiffs and scuffles her wound externally and internally isn't snagged.

To Twee, I knew your two werent Vikki ;)

I was gonna ask why they had been seperated in the first place if they were already living together.

so is two weeks enough then? or should I leave it a bit longer?

sorry, i seem to have hyjacked the thread:oops:

*edit* its ok now Sooz has answered my question, thank you.

Last edited:
If they were already together beforehand then it's important to reintroduce them as soon as you can. You bunny will smell a little of the vets so they will need to reacquaint themselves.

I'm getting my two girls spayed in December time and was wondering if I keep them together throughout the recovery process? They'll be done together.

I kept my Doe and Neutered buck together throughout the process (asside from the actual spay) as he's such a gentle fellow. It seemed to really help (asside from him eating all the tempting food i offered her) as he not only kept her warm and cosy, just him being there caused her much less stress. It was particularly improtant as she'd already had one attempt at spaying but didn't cope well with the anesthetic so it was touch and go if she'd pull through. This should be the same with two neutered ladys with the added bonus that they'll both be very quiet after the op so no scuffels at all assuming they've been bonded already

With an un neutered buck though i would be cautious, especially if they've not been bonded before. My Rosie was quite weak and in pain after the op and i'd hate to think of putting her through the stress of bonding until she's fully healed, it's not worth the risk.

Jem

Hi:wave: , I am taking 3 female bunnies to be spayed in December they are all sisters so they are bonded. I have been told to take them to the vets together but after they have been spayed should they still stay together to recover?

Hi all, they were bonded before. Put them both in the run yesterday and Henry was so excited to see Emily that he chased her around, she stopped and he kept on running past her :lol:

They are back together in their hutch and no problems :D

Back