• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can there ever be too much hay?

leeanderin

Mama Doe
Rubens and Dilbert get a bowl of supa excel pellets for breakfast and usually a selection of Kale, Spinach, Broccoli (sp?), Carrots, Dill for dinner at night and a full hay rack every day. Over the last few weeks they seem to be eating twice as much hay as usual, is it just because of the cold whether?
Should i cut it down? Rubens is a big girl anyway and i don't want her putting on weight and becoming a fat bunny.

I notice that all of my rabbits have started eating more hay. Even those who dont usually bother. I think it is just because of the cool weather. As many rabbits have shed their fluffy summer coat and have a thinner but more coarse winter coat the extra hay keeps them warm.

As most hay is digested and comes out the other end and it has so many benefits such as helping maintain healthy teeth, digestive system etc then it can only be good.

However if they are off other food and are eating enormous amounts then make sure they are not compensating for something they are lacking. It doesnt sound like it from all the fresh leaves they have but its best just to keep an eye on it.

i would say no :D mine willl eat loads and loads of hay :D i dont think hay is actually fattening mine have never put on wieght by going on major hay binge days :D

There can never ever be too much hay :D

I have to say Dilbert is looking even more gorgeous :love:

Thank you all for your replies, i thought it might have had something to do with the change in temperature! I'll carry on feeding them the same as normal then.

Thanks again!

Of course he is, he's a Happy Hopper ;)

It must be so rewarding to see them happy and healthy after the've left you, and he is a beauty!

Mine has been gorging on hay the last 2 weeks, and I'm really pleased cos I waasen't sure if he was eating enough before.

It is :D

He was such a shy little mite too, he has poor vision and was quite jumpy. they were an easy peasy bond though.

He came from waggytailstina on here, she runs a boarding business and he was dumped on her by his owner after she realised he was a boy....she didnt want to pay for him to be neutered :(

I have just cut my trio's pellets to get them eating even more hay :roll:

I don't get that not wanting to pay thang, but that's another few threads :roll: how kool to be able to help these little guys out, and I've PM'd you about something else...:)

It is :D

He was such a shy little mite too, he has poor vision and was quite jumpy. they were an easy peasy bond though.

He came from waggytailstina on here, she runs a boarding business and he was dumped on her by his owner after she realised he was a boy....she didnt want to pay for him to be neutered :(

I have just cut my trio's pellets to get them eating even more hay :roll:

He's not half as shy now, they have a run attached to teh hutch and he was very wary about going outside, it's now a race to see who can get out first! And dinner times are always fun, the two of them pushing each other out the way with their heads out the door to see whats on the menu and then jumping over each other to get to the bowl :lol:

I'm so glad a got Rubens a little friend!

they definitely eat a lot more in the winter than the hot summer, and the more hay they eat, the less chance there is for over grow molar. so we never worry about too much hay.

According to some vets, any bunny over age of 2, should be on 90% hay diet

they are supposed to eat a bunny sized bundle of hay every day, so I split this into 2 as I've noticed they like it fresh, not day old - oh and they like it on the floor of their litter tray, not in a rack - oh and it has to be expensive too with my lot :rolleyes:

they are supposed to eat a bunny sized bundle of hay every day, so I split this into 2 as I've noticed they like it fresh, not day old - oh and they like it on the floor of their litter tray, not in a rack - oh and it has to be expensive too with my lot :rolleyes:

Good morning Elve :wave: Mine has his in a straw basket....spoilt? :lol: He'll only eat fresh as well, so I use the excess every day to top up litter trays, and he has expensive taste...his hay comes from an organic farm shop, and he won't eat anything else....Am i sounding like a parent? :shock: :lol:

Back