• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really worried about lonely Dandy!

brightspark19

Warren Scout
As many probably know, Dandy lost his brother and best friend 3 weeks ago. But instead of him finding it easier, he's finding it much worse. A few weeks ago he was just nipping me and banging his feet. He's neva been the most friendly of rabbits but now he doesnt want to know me at all.

Tonight i let him out for a run in the garden and left his hutch door open as i always do. About 1hour later i went to get him back in and he ran everywhere but into his hutch. He advoided it at all costs, even squeezing in between 2 other hutches (about 4 inch gap) to hide from me. It took me about 3 hours of chasing around the garden and in and out of gaps, under bunny hutches and even my cats trying to round him up to finally get him in. 1 foot in and he ran back out again. Half an hour later i managed to grab him and gave him a huge cuddle but he just ran into his bed and hid in the corner.

He seems to be eating a little less than usual and while he was out he kept sniffing through the bars of my 2 does hutch even though before he couldnt stand them. Hes definately not himself.

I was going to my local RSPCA this saturday but due to staff shortages at work im having to work from 11-8 on saturday and again on sunday so that means atleast another week before i can consider getting him a mate.

I dont want to try to let him bond with the girls as hes always been aggressive towards them and i dnt want him to get along with one and have the other be cast aside.

Any suggestions as to what to do kindly taken into consideration. I feel quite helpless now!

was he only aggressive to the girls when his brother was with him? Might be different now if so :) Are the girls spayed?

was he only aggressive to the girls when his brother was with him? Might be different now if so :) Are the girls spayed?

He was aggressive when his brother was with him but he has been aggressive since he passed away too. Thought he might have been trying to protect his brother but as he is so small looks like hes trying to protect himself as well.

All of my rabbits are spayed/neutered.

Maybe he does need a new friend? Can you got to the RSPCA another day as 3 hour round ups every day doesn't sound like fun!

Maybe he does need a new friend? Can you got to the RSPCA another day as 3 hour round ups every day doesn't sound like fun!

Its not really very fun, bless his heart he cant understand where his beloved Dylan has gone. Im going to try and get up there in the week. I have a half day on thursday so i might manage it.

Back