• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I bring my buns indoors over Bonfire Night/Diwaii?

Should I bring them inside over Bonfire Night/Diwaii?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, only for the spay

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Yes, and use a snugglesafe to get them used to the temperatures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I am still confused as to whether I should bring them inside or not. They are rexes and there are two of them. There have been a few that have gone off about 2-3 miles away and they were fine. I'm just worried about them being in the same street. They are coming in over November/December because of their spay. I could get a snugglesafe to help them adjust to the outdoor temperatures. It will be hard to reduce the temperature inside the house. What should I do?

I don't think you'd have much trouble getting them to adjust to an indoor temperature. I'd imagine the problems would lie in then getting them used to an outdoor temperature... Because at this time of the year, there's a big difference between indoor/outdoor temperatures. If you're keeping them inside due to their spay, that's different... But if you're considering bringing them inside the house due to fireworks, when so far they've shown no sign of being too nervous, then I souldn't do it, if I were you.

My bunnies move into the garage during winter time, for the extra shelter. I s'pose this muffles the firework sounds a little.. but not much, because our garage is nothing special. Also, it's worth remembering that often fireworks are let off before the 5th November, and tend to escalate to around this time. ^^; As much as this bugs me, it DOES give the bunnies a gradual acceptance of these loud noises - sort of prepares them. If you still worry they might be scared, you could try covering the front of their hutch in old carpet or something, to muffle b oth the sounds and prevent bright flashes scaring them? Just my input... 'cos sending them back outside after being indoors might be a bit of a task.

I remember one year when my neighbours had fireworks and my dining room was converted into a shed for all the rabbits and pigs:oops:

Last year I was expecting the rabbits to be really skittish but I genuinely think I was more bothered than they were. They didn't show any reaction even when those really loud "booms" went off.

So long as they're locked in their hutch/shed, and the front/windows are covered I think they'll be fine.

I do try to desensitize them by using the lawn mower/hedge trimmers etc whilst they're out in the garden, and I virtually have to mow around them they are so not bothered by the noise:D

As the fireworks go on for so long now and are not just confined to 1 or 2 nights, I'd worry about them having to be in the house for quite a long period then having to readjust to the cold outside again.

Plus I think they may find comfort in their familiar surroundings i.e. the hutch. I do put an extra cover over the front so they don't see the flashes and make sure they have tons of hay to burrow down in if spooked.

Back