• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange furless rings on rabbits' noses

CrazyBun

Warren Scout
A friend of mine is puzzled because her two rabbits have developed furless rings just above their noses. They are free-range rabbits, so it is unlikely that they are sticking their heads through wire or anything. Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? What does ringworm do to rabbits?

This sounds a lot like ringworm. How is the skin underneath? Is it inflammed or peeling/dry or swollen?

She does have cats. I don't know about the skin underneath - I think she said it was red but she didn't mention peeling. How do cats pass it on to rabbits? I suppose if she take them to the vet she can get a pretty simple treatment? Do the cats need to go too?

ringworm is a very agressive fungus that can pass from cats to humans and dogs and rabbits it seems. If she suspects ringworm she should also take the cats to the vets to be checked over, unless she is totally confident the cats are not affected. Ring worm is a difficult thing to treat in furry animals and requires a lot of persistance (trust me!). When the animal moults this passes the fungus on, so generally they need to be treated systemically and washed around 3 times a week. Griseofulvin (spelling?) is the common drug given to cats, but it is pretty nasty stuff so best avoided. If she asks her vet they can supply a prescription for sporonox. This is a drug to treat humans and can be collected from most pharmacists, but can also be used in cats.

Sorry thats so long!got carried away!:roll:

ooh also! sorry me again!:lol:

The fungus that causes atheletes foot is responsible for ringworm. So you might want to suggest (carefully of course!:lol: ) that she checks her feet and others in the house.

Thanks for all that info - I have told her about it, yes, one of her cats has strange furless patches too. She is DELIGHTED that she may now have ringworm, and is paranoidly checking herself. I wasn't REMOTELY tactful in telling her, but she is a good enough friend that it doesn't matter ;)

I hope she gets it sorted soon. ;) Let us know how it all goes. Would be interesting to know what the vet reccomends for rabbits with ringworm.

Back