• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mushy Ceacotrophs

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Any idea why a bunny's ceacotrophs would be mushy....more like mushy poops than the normal shiny pellety ones?

Foster bun has normal poops now (yay!) apart from a night, so assuming its her ceacotrophs that are wrong.

She's not eating them obviously ! :lol:

Any ideas??

Any idea why a bunny's ceacotrophs would be mushy....more like mushy poops than the normal shiny pellety ones?

Foster bun has normal poops now (yay!) apart from a night, so assuming its her ceacotrophs that are wrong.

She's not eating them obviously ! :lol:

Any ideas??

Please can you indicate what food are you feeding your rabbits and how much? This may help us assist you.

Please can you indicate what food are you feeding your rabbits and how much? This may help us assist you.

Of course, she arrived Sun and had been fed Russel Rabbit & lettuce :shock: :shock: I've been slowly introducing SS, she's up to about 1/3 a teacup now and has lots of hay. I'm not feeding her veg yet. She is also on Fibreplex.

I would guess her tummy is readjusting from all the cr@p she has been eating.

How is she with hay?

yup..bandit improved with diet change over and his sudden interest in hay.timmy 2nd cut bunny basics..now he eats his body size daily in it!
he had the snip too..his scrotal sac got in the way so he culdnt clean himself etc.
he was on some mix he came with..once tummy recovered he was geat..touch wood still is.

stress is the biggest factor in this..my bif she is cursed with being a nervous wreck and having post traumatic stress syndrome equvalent and she gets realy really abd days and the lounge is awash and stinks and im running around with tisse cloths disinfectnat etc etc all day long. most of the time its usualy morning to luchtime unless someones at the door..ive hoovered...weve had visitors or workmen etc then its like i said all day! this morning she left me 4 piles of it but no huge pats or 4 inch long slugs..which she has done when stressed. yukky but its more common in stressed bunnies than we give them credit for. The vet said theres not much we can do cpet avoid major stressors whenever we can.so workmen etc come round other side of house and keep voicesdown..she is terrified of men.
the fibreplex is good but also its worth doing what the vet advised me to do beginning of this year...two or three weeks every single day give protexin bio lapis..some buns it helps..bif it didnt.
good luck.

I would guess at the stress factor too Julia - poor love has been through it a bit this last week, moving, going under GA and getting treatment, plus the change of diet - sounds like you're feeding her right hon so I'd give her a bit of time and I'm sure the excess will stop. :D

Here's a quote from the vet2pet website

You're aiming for a bunny who isn't too fat or too thin; producing plenty of nice "rabbit raisins"; with only very occasional smelly caecotrophs (shiny, dark night pellets) lying about. If you find lots of caecotrophs then you need to adjust the diet . Decreasing the commercial foods and increasing hay usually does the trick, but changing brands of food may be required. There are other causes of excess caecotrophs (obesity; reduced mobility; dental disease) but dietary problems are the most common. Excess caecotrophs are not diarrhoea: ignore old rabbit books that tell you to withdraw greenfood if soft droppings occur - the treatment may actually be the Hay & Veggie diet!

Aww thanks guys, will ask the vets about the protexin and maybe reduce her pellets down again a little. I'm going to get the vets to check her teeth again tomorrow as i've noticed she gets annoyed with the water bottle and prefers a bowl....so could be dental, fingers crossed its not.

I've not managed to get as much Fibreplex in her as i'd like as the more confident she becomes the more cheeky she becomes....runs round with it in her mouth until i'm out of reach then spits it out ! :roll:

Will try her on some different hay, although she seems to eat a lot anyway, the meadow bedding and the herbage.

Back