• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming advice

Danielle&James

Warren Scout
I have a lionhead called Oscar, I have been grooming him as much as I can and am doing my best. Last night I actually managed to groom him with 2 different brushes for about 30 minutes but I cannot get anywhere near the fluff on the backs of his legs or his chin, I am starting to worry that it will get matted, it looks ok now

Is there such a thing as rabbit groomers?

Does anyone have any tips?

Hiya

I think that grooming depends on the rabbit, what I mean is that they are all different and some will put up with something and others won't! There are lots and lots of brushes and things you can buy, but do remember that rabbits skin is extremely fine and delicate. I think you will be lucky to get under oscar's chin, most buns don't like us humans messing around under their chins! You could try a slicker brush or perhaps even a flea comb if you are gentle. As for the back of his legs, the slicker brush should do the trick maybe just stroke him for a bit and then introduce the brush gently. Sorry, don't know if that's any help at all? The other thing to do (depending on your vet) is get the vet nurse to help. I used to have an angora cross and she hated being groomed. I used to take her into the vets so that they could help me! :roll: Good luck with Oscar.

i use cat flea combs for my 3... i find they actually get to the base of the fur and removes knots easier than a brush does. To do the backs of their legs and under their chin i lay them on their backs.. its hard to explain but i lay them in my arm with their head under my armpit sort of thing so that my arm covers their eyes which means they tend to relax. Then i can use my two hands to sort their legs etc out. Simba will let me comb under his chin when he is sitting on my lap. I lift one of his front legs up and comb under his armpit and chin areas like that. Nala wont stay still like that though

I have a lionhead called Oscar, I have been grooming him as much as I can and am doing my best. Last night I actually managed to groom him with 2 different brushes for about 30 minutes but I cannot get anywhere near the fluff on the backs of his legs or his chin, I am starting to worry that it will get matted, it looks ok now

Is there such a thing as rabbit groomers?

Does anyone have any tips?

I have a lionhead that needs a lot of grooming as he is a big fluffly monster!

I try to groom him regular but he doesnt like it and he's not a cuddly rabbit so he doesnt like being handled. Recently he had a few huge matts under his chin. I felt really bad as they must have been there for a while just getting worse. After a week of trying I managed to cut them off last night.

As long as you groom him regularly nothing will get out of hand. Just keep eye out for matts.

When I have lionheads who dont like to be groomed I actually trim off their bum fluff so that I only have to worry about the top half.

If its really bad you could get the vets to groom/shave him for you and then start again from scratch as it grows back

I use a cmbination of a fine tooth combe and a bristle brush on lionheads....I find slicker brushes cause the fur to go static and can make actually make matters worse.

I've only had my fluffy-bummed lionhead for just over a month-so I'm no expert...
But
Kahlua was getting dirty bum right away (her ceceotropes were sticking in her fur around her bum) and I really didn't like it, so I had my o/h "trance her" and while he held her upside down in his lap we shaved her fur around her bum with his face razor (the electric kind with the guide) to about a quarter of an inch in length. She still gets some poops stuck in her fur, but I just brush them out. It's helped alot!

Back