• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations tomorrow- advice

Danielle&James

Warren Scout
My rabbit Jeremy is having his first jab tomorrow, is there anything I will need to do to prepare him for it, also will he feel "poorly" after and is there any after care I should be aware of?

He should be fine. Is he having Myxo or VHD? I have had no problems at all with any of my buns post vaccination.

some people have reported a limp post VHD, if the CYLAP is given. Mine all had Lapinject

You might find that Jeremy isn't 'talking' to you when you get him home again. Mine usually have a bit of a strop when we get home, but they always snap out of it fairly quickly. Jeremy shouldn't have any ill effects, but it's always best to keep a close eye on them for a day or so afterwards.

Charlie was fine with myxi jab but a bit off it with the VHD (also had a limp!) He was very soppy and wanted cuddling all the time but was as right as rain the day after. Sure things will be fine.

My two buns had their mxyi jab first. Sammy went first and never flinched at all but Leon was terrible he jumped about mad as he doesnt like being held in the one spot but the vet knew how to handle him.
When we got home Sammy was acting normal but Leon hid behind the couch for 20 minutes.

Two weeks later we went for the vhd jab and both of them were really good, no struggling at all.

I found the car journey (15 minutes) put them into a transe. Its as if all animals know when your taking them to the vet.

If its the myxi make sure your vet administers it correctly by injecting 10% intradermally (just under the skin) either in the scruff or by the base of the ear with the remainder being injected right into the scruff.

Back