• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray problem.

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Two males, mostly happy together. I have a litter tray in their run which they use mostly but do poo's everywhere, but the litter tray in the bedroom they never use and wet next to it. Tried moving to where its wet but they still wet beside it. They live outdoors. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Tricky as to why they do not do it in the tray...

But is the tray to deep for them .. I had this issue with my Dwarf where he ws just to lazy to jump in... got a lower depth one and he accepted it.

Also perhaps apply hay in there to encourage them into the try.

Rabbits tend to poo anywhere where they eat... hard to keep them in the toilet.

litter tray problem

Thanks for reply. No its not to deep, its the same as the one in the run and I put hay in it. I think they must just like being norty!

Only other thing I can suggest is when they attempt to pee outside the box squirt them with some water....

When in the tray, give them a treat...

Long shot but may work..

Try different toilet bedding... I use newspaper now rather than chippings... and they like to get in and chew it while they do there stuff.

Kind of like me when I go and read a mag at the same time..... must be a male thing !

:D

i used to have the same problem, and I have changed the litter from Carefresh to Megazorb and they poo and wee in it much more. Still not completely but much better. The megazorb is softer so i think they prefer it.

Have you tried putting the hay as far into the back of the litter tray as possible so they have to hop in to eat it? I assume they are, but if they aren't neutered, they could be spraying.

When you clean the tray out, put a little of the dirty bedding back in. This will help remind them what the tray is for. Are they both neutered? And how old are they? My boy wasn't fully trained until he was neutered, he didn't feel the need to mark his territory anymore, so everything got done in the tray. I have two bunnies now, wees generally always done in the tray (sometimes over the side if the litter is too deep), some poos done outside the tray, but mainly in it. Like already said, keep hay in the tray or in a rack over it, hopefully they will get the idea soon :) Welcome to the forum :wave:

litter tray problem.

Thanks for all replies! They are both neuted, one is nearly nine months, the other is just coming up to seven months. Use newspaper with sawdust on top then some hay to encourage them in for both trays. they use the downstairs one fine but won't use the one in the bedroom. Maybe they want the whole bedroom as their toilet! Will try switching to something else and see but concerned that as they use the one in the run, they must be ok with the sawdust.

Maybe you could use a litter tray that fills the whole bedroom compartment? Then they would have to use it if they wanted to go in there? You might be able to find a cat litter tray or a solid seed tray the right kind of size?

litter tray problem.

Sorry to be dim then but don't they need an enclosed area for sleeping in. Must admit don't see them in the hutch much, mostly in the run underneath. Bet you can all guess these are my first rabbits!

Sorry to be dim then but don't they need an enclosed area for sleeping in. Must admit don't see them in the hutch much, mostly in the run underneath. Bet you can all guess these are my first rabbits!

I don't think they need an enclosed area for sleeping, mine are indoors admittedly, but they don't have an enclosed area for sleeping, in fact they sleep in their litter tray :lol: My boy used to live in a hutch with a sleeping compartment and he only ever used it as a toilet or a digging area!
Maybe its different with outdoor bunnies? Not sure, I've never had an outdoor one!

My hutch bunnies have always liked a clean box of hay in the 'bedroom' to sleep in, and a litter tray to toilet in as well - both with hay in and both big underbed storage boxes so plenty of room. If you are shutting them up in the hutch at night they will not want to dirty their 'bed' maybe - this is why Benny used to go next to his litter tray upstairs anyway. Once I gave him access to the run all night as well he used the one in the run and kept his bedroom clean. Until that glorious day dawned I just put lots of megazorb down the sides of his bedroom tray, and sighed a lot :rolleyes:

Back