• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Argh Cleo's constantly filthy

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
I just checked Cleos bottom again tonight before feeding time and it was horrible, she had a huge mat of fur and po and it feels like a big knot i couldn't get out. Tried wipes, brushing so had to give bum bath and used scissors to cut as much off as possible.

I've had to do this 3 times in the past couple of months an she won't stay clean like the others. Is she just being lazy and not cleaning herself (sh has had her teeth out) i was wondering i'll check her bum again in the morning did as much as i could but i couldn't cut the big knot as it's to close to the skin and i' worried about hurting her.

If i phone my vet will they let me tak her down and can they sort her bum out, just thinking if they do this stuff. I don't want people thinking i neglect her cos we keep her as clea as possible but she just gets dirty again:(

What do you feed her?
Squidgy had this problem until we put him onto Allen and Page natural pellets. He's allowed a treatball full a day, and then we chop hay up for him to eat. This sorted out his messy bum.
If she has no front teeth, she won't be able to clean herself as well, but she shouldn't be getting that messy.

We have been feeding SS for a while now, she only gets a handful each morning. She hasn't been a very good hay eater either for a few months but the past week she has increased her hay eating now:?

I would cut veg from her diet for a few weeks and see if that makes a diffrence then reintroduce it slowly to see if there is a particular item causing the problem.

Sadly rabbits with no incisors struggle to eat their ceacal pellets and to clean themselves.

You can use cooking cornflour to clean her up - it's much better than water. Just massage a pinch in at a time till it's all full of cornflour and work it into the dirty fur - the dirt will slide off easily and matts will untangle too :)

Thanks elve i'll try cornfour. I didn't know she'd have a problem eating her ceacal pellets or clean herself when she doesn't have a prob eating anything else thats for certain, looks like there sticking to her fur and matting when she's not eating them. I'll try the veg thing aswell:)

Last edited:
My front toothless pair have no trouble eating their caecals and I'm surprised that any do as the caecals are soft so I can't see that a bun would need teeth to eat them (sorry for anyone eating their dinner at the moment :oops: ).

I would go along with the advice given as regards as bland a diet as possible i.e. the few pellets you're already giving and chopped up hay... it's amazing how much hay you can chop whilst watching Neighbours :lol: .

Thanks well she was clean this morning and i couldn't see any soft poos lying around, she has still got knotted fur nearish her tail area i can't cut with scissors mainly i'm scared of accidently cutting her skin but my vets said to bring her down in the morning and they can sort it out for me:)

Gosh i feel waful i don't want the vets to think she's neglected or anything cos of her knotted fur, we keep her as clean as posible. reminds me when i took cleo down once before but it was aining and she ran across the garden and got muddy i felt like a right plonker when the vet asked how come i had such a muddy scruffy bun:oops:

They struggle to eat them because they often cant reach to pull them off properly without their incisors. Bobby eats his off the floor rather than reaching for them, thankfully he has very short hair and we have never had a problem with his bum!

when Bif is at her worst we usually shave her nether regions as the vets advised. We used to do it with oscar too.he had teeth probs from time to time..admitedly they hadnt lost their insicors but whatever the reason it helps..also use cornflour as elve suggested..i know the usa stes go on about using baby powder made from starch..cornflur in other words and talc free..do you think itd ever apear on our shelves here or shall we do a bulk oreder from one of those food grocery shoping sites!

oscar number 2 whos nowbanit..he had huge sacs before he was neutered and he was disgusting with his bum..it used to make me reach the smell when i cleaned him up. But after the op and getting him onto allen and page natural pellets and eating timmy hay 2nd cut from bunny basics..touch wood his tummys being ok in fact he does poos as big as my frenchies almost!:shock:
my old bun shehad her front teeth removed after an accident she was never god at her bum cleaning..her jaw wasnt good shape etc...but she tried after a while not to sit in it and get pancake bum..but as she got worse it got worse and she was a tartar to clean! sadly she broke off a toenail and was too quiet and the vet said her molars were terrible again and this time it had taken 3 weeks to get like it..after all her dentals et she persuaded me to put her down:cry:

odd cos of oscars teeth and tummy we put him n bif on ss and his tummm never cleared up an bif got a dodgy tum from it and put on sooo much weight even with limited amount!
l

Back