PDA

View Full Version : genetics?

kimd6200
17-10-2007, 07:41 PM
hi all,my mate has got a litter of 5wk old purebreed dwarfs.anyways,theres 4 in the nest all smooth coated and small,but theres one thats a lionlop!:shock: she is the biggest ball of fluff you have ever seen.got a massive mane and fur so thick and long.totally adorable.what i want know is where has she come from?both parents and their parents were pure dwarf lops?if i could post pics i would.shes unbelievable!xxxxxx

Sooz
17-10-2007, 07:45 PM
A genetic throwback?

A combination of two recessive genes meeting?

ecudc
17-10-2007, 07:49 PM
http://www.lionheadrabbit.net/gen%20manelindner.htm

kimd6200
17-10-2007, 07:53 PM
thanks for that.so somewhere all the line theres got to be a lionhead.so will be be classed as a lionlop or just a fluffy dwarf lop?:lol: x

ZakuraRabbit
17-10-2007, 09:16 PM
If none of the parents have a mane I can't see how the kit can have one:? Sure its not just longhaired? (We call it Fuchs, not sure what the english word for it is) that is a recessive trait, and can be carried for generations and then pop up when two normal-coated rabbits carrying the gene mates.

buddabun
17-10-2007, 09:20 PM
the allele for fluff must be recessive (like ginger hair) as it's popped up randomly.
one reason you should **** your relatives - more likely to have the same reecessive genetic traits which will come out as squints and limps lol!!!!

cashmincal
17-10-2007, 09:22 PM
For the kit to be longhaired BOTH parents must carry the longcoated gene it's their ancesty. So if you where to put a cashmere lop for example to a dwarf lop you would get short coated rabbits if the dwarf lop DIDN'T carry the longcoated gene. (Just an example btw)

one reason you should **** your relatives - more likely to have the same reecessive genetic traits which will come out as squints and limps lol!!!!

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

abbymarysmokey
17-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Hope the baby isn't a woolly :(

I don't know anything about genetics, but I have read that random woolly babies have started cropping up in lop litters. More likely in a litter of cashmere lops, but perhaps these rabbits aren't as purebred as your friend thinks?

Amy

greyrabbit
17-10-2007, 11:42 PM
hey davies can u put a pic up so we all can see he/she is probably really adorable

Kezza30
17-10-2007, 11:44 PM
We wonderd that about Poppy there supposd to be lionxlops, Cleo looks just like her mother, Casper has no mane more o a lop eared all of them are black but poppy has much longer fur and is totall a differnet colour to the rest where they hav a mane she is all fluff around her body to looks really odd with the rest. I don't know nothing about genetics so it's probably normal but i did wonder if she belonged in there family once:roll:

kimd6200
18-10-2007, 07:39 AM
plz dnt call me davies!:shock: got called that at school!:lol: not good at sending pics.useless realy.had send them to someone via email last time just to get them on here!:oops:if i could do that agen then i can post one!:oops: she looks as though shes been put in the dryer on hot blow!:lol:

ecudc
18-10-2007, 12:52 PM
the allele for fluff must be recessive (like ginger hair) as it's popped up randomly.

Or ginger......ho hum.