• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

genetics?

kimd6200

Banned
hi all,my mate has got a litter of 5wk old purebreed dwarfs.anyways,theres 4 in the nest all smooth coated and small,but theres one thats a lionlop!:shock: she is the biggest ball of fluff you have ever seen.got a massive mane and fur so thick and long.totally adorable.what i want know is where has she come from?both parents and their parents were pure dwarf lops?if i could post pics i would.shes unbelievable!xxxxxx

thanks for that.so somewhere all the line theres got to be a lionhead.so will be be classed as a lionlop or just a fluffy dwarf lop?:lol: x

If none of the parents have a mane I can't see how the kit can have one:? Sure its not just longhaired? (We call it Fuchs, not sure what the english word for it is) that is a recessive trait, and can be carried for generations and then pop up when two normal-coated rabbits carrying the gene mates.

the allele for fluff must be recessive (like ginger hair) as it's popped up randomly.
one reason you should **** your relatives - more likely to have the same reecessive genetic traits which will come out as squints and limps lol!!!!

For the kit to be longhaired BOTH parents must carry the longcoated gene it's their ancesty. So if you where to put a cashmere lop for example to a dwarf lop you would get short coated rabbits if the dwarf lop DIDN'T carry the longcoated gene. (Just an example btw)

one reason you should **** your relatives - more likely to have the same reecessive genetic traits which will come out as squints and limps lol!!!!

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Hope the baby isn't a woolly :(

I don't know anything about genetics, but I have read that random woolly babies have started cropping up in lop litters. More likely in a litter of cashmere lops, but perhaps these rabbits aren't as purebred as your friend thinks?

Amy

We wonderd that about Poppy there supposd to be lionxlops, Cleo looks just like her mother, Casper has no mane more o a lop eared all of them are black but poppy has much longer fur and is totall a differnet colour to the rest where they hav a mane she is all fluff around her body to looks really odd with the rest. I don't know nothing about genetics so it's probably normal but i did wonder if she belonged in there family once:roll:

plz dnt call me davies!:shock: got called that at school!:lol: not good at sending pics.useless realy.had send them to someone via email last time just to get them on here!:oops:if i could do that agen then i can post one!:oops: she looks as though shes been put in the dryer on hot blow!:lol:

the allele for fluff must be recessive (like ginger hair) as it's popped up randomly.

Or ginger......ho hum.

Back