• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccination question

Has anyone had the following

• vaccinated rabbit with kidney infection/failure

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • vaccinated rabbit with liver infection/failure

• vaccinated rabbit with unexplained weight loss

• vaccinated rabbit with bloat (not put down to anything fed)

• vaccinated rabbit with nodular myxi

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • vaccinated rabbit with full blown myxi

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • un-vaccinated rabbit with kidney infection/failure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • un-vaccinated rabbit with liver infection/failure

• un-vaccinated rabbit with unexplained weight loss

• un-vaccinated rabbit with bloat (not put down to anything fed)

• un-vaccinated rabbit with nodular myxi

• un-vaccinated rabbit with full blown myxi

• Total voters

sgprescue

Mama Doe
Thinking about recent events I wondered if you could all do me a favour and answer this poll. I dont want it to turn into an argument and it can be completly annonymous if you like.

Last edited:
Are you including homeopathic vaccination as 'vaccinated' or are you only refering to conventional vaccination?

Janex

Are you including homeopathic vaccination as 'vaccinated' or are you only refering to conventional vaccination?

Janex

sorry, didnt make it clear. Im not including homeopathic atall in this poll (thought 18 poll options was too many :lol: ) just conventional vacc for the moment. I also havent voted myself.

does the bloat have to be within a certain time frame after the vaccination

I suppose in theory anytime up to 6 months afterwards as that is when you are supposed to revaccinate.

I should also add I am not trying to scare anyone into not vaccinating their rabbits. I would however like to get intouch with the manufacturers after i have finished this poll to discuss my findings with them.

I have two rabbits that have always been vaccinated and they both suffer with bloat, although it has got slightly better since I've changed back to a mix type food.

Overall, bloat definitely!

i have voted for vaccinated rabbit with bloat, i have to say i cannot be 100% it wasnt food related although there were no changes in diet

Since you can't select several options in the poll:

We've had suspected nodular myxi in all ours a couple of years back (wasn't really known about then so wasn't really diagnosed properly), also had liver failure (may hae been due to the myxi), and unexplained weight loss in vaccinated buns. No unexplained symptons in rabbits out of vaccination. It may have been coincidence that the rabbits that were worst affected had been vaccinated the most recently. We had 18 rabbits at the time and lost 3 - one to liver failure, one to pneumonia (pasturella) and one was put to sleep when the necrotic lesions covered over 50% of her body and she wasn't able to fight them. Another had pneumonia but survived, 5 or 6 had necrotic lesions around their legs or head, several others had abnormal skin thickening around their shoulders... It never got diagnosed as myxi as the vets wouldn't believe it was as it wasn't showing classical myxi symptons and nodular myxi wasn't heard of much 3 years ago.

Claire

Since you can't select several options in the poll:

We've had suspected nodular myxi in all ours a couple of years back (wasn't really known about then so wasn't really diagnosed properly), also had liver failure (may hae been due to the myxi), and unexplained weight loss in vaccinated buns. No unexplained symptons in rabbits out of vaccination. It may have been coincidence that the rabbits that were worst affected had been vaccinated the most recently. We had 18 rabbits at the time and lost 3 - one to liver failure, one to pneumonia (pasturella) and one was put to sleep when the necrotic lesions covered over 50% of her body and she wasn't able to fight them. Another had pneumonia but survived, 5 or 6 had necrotic lesions around their legs or head, several others had abnormal skin thickening around their shoulders... It never got diagnosed as myxi as the vets wouldn't believe it was as it wasn't showing classical myxi symptons and nodular myxi wasn't heard of much 3 years ago.

Claire

so were all 18 vaccinated?

All 18 were vaccinated at the time, some had been about 1 month before they got myxi, others about 4 months, as the vaccinations were staggered to spread the cost.

Claire

There is only one votes available to us and I have a vaccinated rabbit with nodular myxi and lost 2 who were unvaccinated to full blown myxi (that is what changed my opinion on vaccinating).

Lost 5 vaccinated to Nodular myxi, one vaccinated to kidney failure & cancer, two vaccinated with bloat and three vaccinated with unexplained weight loss and no appetite

Last edited:
I've been able to vote just once, but Floss has had Nodular myxi twice and each time she was up to date with her vaccinations. She's done every 6 months.

I am lost:? no surprise there then:lol: :lol: are we just talking the myxi or both myxi and VHD. My confused question is, I thought that no vet would vaccinate an ill bunny unless of course he/she has myxi. I also thought that the manufacteurs didn't advise vaccinating either whilst the bunny was ill so unless the bunny has not been to a vet with ailments and the owner does not declare that the bunny is unwell would a vet vaccinate but then, my vet checks both of mine over before vaccinating so would the vet not pick up on anything:? Also there must be a reason why the manufactuerers advise not to vaccinate whilst bunny is ill and on meds but what are the reasons behind this, could there be some adverse effect to the vaccination or doe it cause the vaccine to be in-effective:? who knows, the VHD vaccine limp side effect may be due to the bunny not being 100% well at the time of vaccination:?

I vaccinated my old ladies Daisy and Nibbles after much uming and arging, neither of them were right, Daisy went to the bridge, due to her abscess behind her eye complications, but Nibbles is with me. I was e-mailing the manufactorer about them and chatting with my vet, for quite some time before I did it. My concern was they were too old and too many things wrong with them for it. I didn't want to overload their immune system. In the end I bit the bullet and had them done, because myx was everywhere in Wolves.

I don't think I'll be getting Nibbles done with cylap though, although every other rab is up-to-date with vacs. I ticked the unexplained weight lose one, because I always vacciated my Sharon.

I COULD have voted 'vaccinated rabbit with kidney failure' but I haven't because I think this would be misleading.

I got an unvaccinated rabbit from a rescue. The rescue doesn't vaccinate and she'd been there about a year, I think, so she had not been vaccinated for at least that time. As soon as I got her I noticed that she was a very thirsty rabbit, but didn't know enough to know that this indicated kidney problems (I did take her to the vet but he didn't check for that either). All my rabbits are vaccinated, so she got vaccinated pretty quickly, and a few years later the kidney problem was diagnosed, and a few months after that she died from it. I am writing this because I think that the form of the questionnaire could skew results - it is clear to me now that Erbie had kidney problems from the time when I got her. However, like most people on this forum, I vaccinate my rabbits. Like most people on this forum I also am concerned about my rabbits and take them to the vet and want to know what is wrong with them, so I find out about kidney disease. I think that pretty well every rabbit on this forum who has a kidney problem will have been vaccinated, just as every rabbit on this forum with kidney problems will have been fed hay, but this doesn't show a connection between the kidney problem and the vaccination/hay.

Sorry if I am being mega-pedantic here, but I think that this shows the importance of controlled tests, where like is compared with like. It is a monomania of mine, hence the long reply. I get really fed up of surveys that say things like (I have read this recently in New Scientist, no less) 'women are better at finding their way round supermarkets, which shows that women are naturally the food-gatherers' (I would haver thought that it shows that women do more supermarket shopping....)

Back