• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fields Of Hay

angel_night

Mama Doe
I live in an old farm house and we have about 4 and a half acres of land. We don't have farm animals anymore as my mum didn't carry it on from her parents. My cousin still has his farm with his dad though and other members of our family in the village have theirs.

My cousin grazes his cows for a certain amount of time during the year in our fields and every 2 years turns the grass into hay. He cut it this year and I have LOADS! Hehe. I just wanted to check that this is okay for the buns to eat? It has been about 2 months since the cows were here and I can't see any cow muck around or anything, so I'm guessing and hoping that it's god for the buns to eat. They are so picky with hay, it would benefit me loads if they like this and it's okay for them to eat :D

Also, do you think I could take some to a local rescue? Or can they only use hay that has been manufactured and everything?

O! No chemicals are EVER used on our land, so there's no worry on that side of things.

XD

Ruth xx

wow - you live in bunny heaven :shock: I know when I spoke to my hay supplier about the harvest this year they said they'd managed to get it in in the end (in spite of the dreadful weather) but it had to 'rest' for a couple of months before it could be fed to animals - you'd best speak to a farmer who knows :)

I like the way you say 'hay that has been manufactured' :lol: that's exactly what you've done - manufactured your own :D A lot depends on how you store it though - how are you doing that, as it mustn't get damp or mouldy as that's toxic.

the other thing you can do with hay if you have loads more than you need is sell it to a hay merchant, who will then sell it on (or you could just go to the auction and sell it yourself maybe?) - pet shop hay is just hay made like yours, bought by hay merchants, sold to a chain of shops who bag it up in their own printed bags, which is why the quality is so variable - you never know which farm it's come from, or how it's been stored.

Well my cousin and I let it dry, and then I've bagged some for myself in black bin bags, as I couldn't think of anything else in the stone shed the buns' hutch is in.

I'd keep it all, or sell it, but my cousin usually takes it for his animals...he does well out of us, free grazing and free hay lol, and I look after the aniamls when they're here :roll: , but hey ho lol.

I gave a little to the buns earleir, and I am relieved that I've finally got something they like. I've tried everything! They lvoed this though. They seem to prefer longer stranded hay.

Thanks for the information Elve!

Ruth xx

Back