• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom Pregnancy ???????

sarahmarshadlam

Warren Scout
Hi,

I wondered if any of you have any advice about this. My sister's rabbit us spayed as is her mate but these past few days she's acting strangely. She's started gathering up oads of hay and keeps it in her mouth for ages. Then she tries to make a nest with it, and while she's like this she doesn't want any fuss and thumps her feet.

Is this a phantom pregnancy? If it is, what's the best thing to do?

Many thanks, Sarahxx

Does she pluck fur?
I've heard of cases where the rabbit isn't completely spayed, so she can still get phantom pregnancies.
My rabbit had phantoms all the time before she was spayed. You don't really need to do anything about it. It'll pass.

If this happens and they've been spayed, it's the result of a bit of ovarian tissue being left behind, which still produces hormones.

None of my girls are spayed and they do all make nests a couple of times a year. I always leave the nest for a week, and if they are specially protective of it, I let them have their food in the nest too, but do try to encourage them to run about a bit daily as this is good for their digestion. Usually they only get protective if you are around though, and will relax once you go. After a few days of sitting there looking important, they totally lose interest, so I clean as normal after a week and no harm done. If I were to clear it away while they were still broody it would be very upsetting for them, and they'd just make another and another - which would be stressful for them, so I leave them to it. :)

Hi

Hi, Thank you for your replies! No she isn't plucking any fur yet, jsut using the hay/paper.

Do you think I should take her to the vet incase it is part of the ovarian tissue left behind? Also, she is a rescue bunny and we were told the previous owners spayed her but now I'm wondering?

Many thanks,. Sarah xx

Back