• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies with the 'X Factor'

Why did you get your last rabbit?

• I only wanted that specific rabbit

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I would have got another rabbit regardless

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • I only wanted that specific breed but didnt worry about the individual

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Im not quite sure if I can phrase this in a manner people can understand but Ill try anyway.

With the last rabbit you aquired, would you have got another rabbit anyway or did you fall in love with a particular one and if you couldnt have that one then you would stick with the rabbits you already had?

Im just interested as I wonder how many rabbits are loosing/gaining homes because they have the 'X factor' or not.

hahaha.. well i was thinking about getting a 3rd bunny to go with my 2 but i really wanted to get a fuzzball like my other two are. Cheryl showed me Fifi and i just knew i HAD to have her!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: Not sure she had the x-factor but she was very cute!:lol:

Last edited:
hmm interesting!

well pebbles, who i got in august. i was searching for a girly for domino, and when i saw her i fell in love with her and went to get her the next day from the rspca. However, i would have kept searching for a girly but i had seen numerous others before, but it was pebbles that i fell in love with!

If her and domino hadnt got on i would have kept searching! x

I wanted a wifey bun for Snowy after Frosty had died. Ideally I would have got another lop as they are my favourite. I wanted to adopt from Jill again and she had got Buttons who had been waiting for a home for a while. So insetad of being selfish and waiting for a lop, I adopted Buttons as she deserved a good home as much as the next bunny. And i'm so glad I did cos she's fab :D

I would have got a bunny anyway, i wasn't looking for a breed (i didn't even really know about different breeds then) but i was looking for a fairly small one as i live in a flat and wanted an indoor bunny.
I am now looking for a girlfriend for my boy but can't find any small girls nearby so i am being a bit fussy lol

I didn't even see my rabbits before they turned up on my doorstep. All I knew was they were a small breed and babies. Tappet is not so small any more though. I wouldn't change them for the world though! :D

Little Tia & Bailey

Originally I wanted a lop when i got Bailey but I saw him and fell in love. I had him on his own for 2 months and thought he looked lonely and started looking for a female friend. Spotted Tia and fell in love luckley Bailey did too

I bought Bobbin from a breeder (I know, I know!), I had looked around and decided that I would like a mini-lop (for size and of course those ears!) but certainly wouldn't have ruled out others if a lop was unavailable. I went to visit and Bobbin was the first one I held, he wriggled a bit then calmed down, and that was it, I knew that if I picked up another I would always be wondering about him :D

So I suppose my answer is a combination of the first two options, although I would have got another one regardless so I'll vote for that.

I was looking for a small husbun for my Nibbles. She used to be a happy little girl, but gradually became very lonely, and the vet told us that she was a nervous bun too, because she'd been over grooming her back, and her fur was coming out. She needed someone. I didn't want a bun that was any bigger than a dwarf with Nibbles only being Nethie sized, and I was worried a bun bigger than Biscuit (Dwarf lop) would hog all the space in the hutch and squish her (she's very squishy). I rang my local rescue and she knew what I was talking about, but she didn't have any single boys in. I looked on RR and found a gorgeous lionhead, and emailed the rescue, but he was reserved, but I was told about 2 other boys. Me & O/H drove to Barnsley to look at the little boys and I fell for both of them, but we decided on Bobby, a little lionhead cross without a mane, and him & Nibbles are now a happy little couple. Nibbles is happier and bouncier than she's ever been. You've not seen a binky 'till you've seen Nibbles in the living room!! Although Bobby does squish her when he's grooming her now coz the little fella has grown so much, but she's the boss and is ALWAYS first to the bowl at feeding time! :lol:

Last edited:
I only wanted Audrey and would not have had a bunn if it wasn't her. It wasn't because of her breed though, I just loved her.

I adopted Rowan as a friend for her, so I would have adopted another bunn anyway, although I was very lucky to end with one as lovely as him.

I adopted the Blobby family because I felt really sorry for them and their situation :oops:
A friend who also has bunnies called to say that there was a 'older neutered buck' looking for a new home because they had outgrown the children looking after him :cry:. He had been advertised for a long time in the newspaper's classifieds and nobody wanted him, we found out later because nobody really knew how old he is, and two people who had applied to have him wanted to eat him :evil:
The local rescue is trying to stop taking small pets and my friend has a house full already, I have to admit I felt really sorry for poor Mr Blobby so went along to see him. It turned out he had a wife :shock: and was so loved up with her she had to come hom too :roll: :lol: ;) I've never regretted it.

So essentially I guess it was there situation that brought them here, I probably would have rescued another bun or two from a rescue centre eventually but these two were in need at that time. They are both mixed breeds (like all my bunnies) and although I think all my buns are beautiful I don't think any of them exactly fit any preconceived mainstream ideas of idealistic bunny cuteness, so I think that although some people do go purely on looks and in these cases its pretty obvious, there are others out there who care about other things.

Okies,

I confess I am one of the people who put I wanted that specific breed.

I have wanted a tri-dutch for a longtime and my attempt to adopt a pair from the free-ads was thwarted by some busybody on here so I gave up on the idea.

A few weeks later I had 3 bunnies arrive from a breeder, X2 nethies and a 'mixed' breed buck. Well you can imagine my surprise when the mixed breed buck turned out to be a tri-coloured dutch! I really wanted to keep him but I was very much torn as every healthy rabbit I take means one less place for an unhomeable permenant resident.

It turned out however that Caspian has ongoing GI tract problems which require intensive nursing...so he would not have been rehomeable anyway.

So I guess I wanted him because he was a specific breed but I could only keep him because of the rabbit he was.

when we were looking for bunny number two we knew it couldn't be too large to fit in our carrier, or too small to fit through the baby gates. We went to visit about 8 buns & none were quite right but Honey/Nakota was ideal she was a rescue, nice personality, right size, right age & neutered although she is probably my least favourite colour in buns & is a little shy......I don't know quite where that puts me, when I held her she was perfect, numbero uno, but I would have got another rabbit if I couldn't have her.

When i got Bugsy her husbun we picked Joey, but had to pick a reserve incase they didn't bond! So i left the desicion up to her!
Before i went to the rescue i didn't want a sticky up ear rabbit, only want a lop, I've got a lovely rex! He was also our first choice!

I haven't chosen any of my rabbits, and TBH I'm not bothered what they look like. Although I do prefer bunnies who are friendly :oops:

I agreed to take 6 of mine without meeting them first (I hadn't even seen a photo of 3 of them).

My O/H really wants me to get a sooty fawn lop-eared doe with a big dewlap, as a 'replacement' for Sh*tty, but I don't want to because it wouldn't have the same personality, so there's no point. :(

TBH I wouldn't choose to take on a long haired rabbit, or a particularly large rabbit.

Amy

It won't let me vote :?

I knew I wanted a pair of rabbits, saw Dumpling and Treacle at P@H (I didn't know about rescue centres then :roll: ) and fell in love, you can't reserve rabbits for more than a day there which was good cus I got my bunnies!!!!!!!
I would've still had bunnies but would've been upset as I knew I had to have them!

Dusty I had because someone I vaguely knew wanted rid of one of there bunnies (they had two) as they didn't have time for him :( I had already said I'd have him before I saw a picture of him and he turned out to be a gorgeous lionhead!

Meggie Moo was the bunny they decided to keep, and by chance I recognised the ladies name on a gumtree ad, they had decided they didn't want rabbits after all, I pursuaded my parents and went and collected her!
Again hadn't seen a picture until I'd said yes and she's a beautiful lionlop (but I'm biased cus I'm their bunny mummy! :lol: )

I voted specific breed, because I wanted a french lop girl to start breeding I know better now and Georgie will never ever be bred ;) I bought her from a lady who was moving into a flat or something and couldn't take Georgie with her :cry: I so glad she came home with me I wouldn't change her for any bun!!! :D By the way what does the part about not worrying about the individual mean? Esther x

Last edited:
Back