• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about potty training

lcl131

New Kit
My bunny is a little over 2 months old, I've had him for a little over a month and I thought he was litter training well. I let him out to play for about 2 hours a day and he wasn't pooping or peeing anywhere but in the litter box in the cage, everything was fine for like 3 weeks and then he suddenly started pooping and peeing in two corners in the area I let him out in to play in. It's only in the corner so I don't think anything is physically wrong with him, I just can't figure out why he's started misbehaving. Any suggestions?

Is the area that you let him out to play in indoors or outdoors? If indoors then really clean the two area's with white vinegar to illiminate the smell and replace each corner with a litter tray. If outdoors, then is it really a problem, both of mine use two places in the garden which is great as it makes cleaning so much easier:D

i think its the space thing too.... Alvin had a cage when we first got him, when i increased the size of his living area not only did he find new places to go to the loo, he stopped using the old one..... he has two litter boxes and both of them (different rooms) are in the places that he choose to go loo...

You got your bunny when he was only 4 weeks old?

If he is only 8 weeks then he is still very tiny so put a litter tray in each corner so he can get there in time. As he gets a little older you can cut down on the number of litter trays...sometimes moving them slowley towards the place you want him to go.

The space may also be confusing him. We kept our new buns in one room for about 2 weeks until used to it, then added another room for a week & so on.

Have you changed your litter at all? That could be confusing him too, or he may be a fussy & not like the litter, or

I agree just give him more litter trays - none of my rabbits manage with just one and if you think about it he's being a very clean rabbit as he wants to keep his sleeping area clean - in the wild they wouldn't mess in their burrow but do it a fair distance away, so I don't see it as misbehaving so much as being a sensible bunny :)

This is a really good website about rabbits which I keep pinned to 'my favourites' - the bottom section titled 'behaviour' has some litter training advice too :) http://www.mybunny.org/info/lit_1.htm

Last edited:
thanks!

sorry, I was writing this late at night and I got a bit confused. He was 10 weeks when I got him and that was a little over a month ago so now he's about 14 or 15 weeks.
The space is indoors, it's not that large, maybe about half the size of the whole room he's in, I've slowly been making it larger. It just came as really surprising b/c he's been doing so well with the litter box, he poops in the cage in other places but I've never seen him pee anywhere else. And when I first let him into the area when I got him, he would poop everywhere not just in one space, which I took to mean he was marking his territory and once he was comfortable (i.e. he knew I'd let him out there at least 2x a day) he didn't do it anymore. But I will get another litter box and see how that works out. Thanks :)

At 15 weeks he might be starting to get a little hormonal as well, especially if he's a small breed. This would include marking so if the litter training doesn't improve it may be worth having his wobbly bits removed if they've dropped.

If he's un-neutered then you will have problems with litter training. If you've planning on getting him neutered then he should litter train more easily.

Back