• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

reply from freecycle re offered animals REPLIES!!!! OH MY GOD!!!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Heres what I put....

Not v well written I know but its not my best skill

Hello

As a keen animal lover with 2 rabbits and 2 cats I am shocked at the amount of animals being 'offered' on freecycle lately. Most of the reasons for giving up their pets have seemed rather poor excuses...'I've just got married I'm not allowed to have pets', 'my neighbours have complained I have too many rabbits'or I've just gone back to work I don't have the time anymore'. Whilst I appreciate that some of these people do have real valid reasons for trying to find their pets a good home, I wonder whether freecycle is the right place to do this?

What I find very surprising is how quickly these animals have apparently been 'rehomed' in just a few hours! I notice that two Northamptonshire freecycle groups (Daventry and one in Nptn) state on their sites that they will not post animal offers and are quite rightly redirecting people to the appropriate places to rehome. Unfortunately it seems freecycle itself (overall) do not disallow animal postings and instead offer advice in what you should do if you do choose to allow animal postings. Have a pet moderator. I would be very interested in the sites that do allow pet postings of what their pet moderator actually does. I do hope I don't offend by this comment but do find it remarkable that animals are rehomed so quickly! Plus I do remember a posting last year I believe in which it was discovered that one pet moderator had left and someone else had taken their place who had no experience in that kind of field.

I would appreciate your comments. In the meantime could I please recommend a site to add to your animal rehoming links page? The website is www.rabbitrehome.org.uk and it has a huge database of rabbits requiring homes all over the uk.

Many thanks in advance
Suzanne

And the replies so far....

hi

well i happen to agree with you about the pet posting and the pet mod thing is now over and it happened to be me the story actually was that she was moving house and i was only posting emails on behalf of her and got in trouble for it because she didnt ask first i thought i was helping but in fact got alot of offence from this,from which i wish i never bothered.

so as for pet posting why not just ban it alltogher because if this didnt happen i think freecycle would be a much quieter place as this seems to be the problem people are bringing uo quite often, i did ask about being a moderator but now because of this occurance i dont seem to get any reply from any one so i use freecycle and post things on her and thats all i have to do with it.

thats all i have to say on the matter DONT ALLOW IT FULL STOP.

Hello Suzanne

As the owner of the Daventry freecycle group and as the official pet moderator for the Northampton north and central group site we state quite categorically no pets postings allowed, all pet postings come to me direct to be dealt with on a personal and professional level some of the other groups have joined recentl and asked me to take over the pet postings for them too, as I work closely with several Northamptonshire and surrounding rescues that are prepared to help re-home, foster and network to help transport and re home animals that come through the freecycle networks, the only two groups that have not joined us through the Northamptonshire freecycle network are corby and kettering they feel they can run animal postings through their own system, which is fine by our freecycle rules they have guidelines to follow, the only reason why I have not had a chance to respond to this letter is the fact I am very busy with rescue work and my baby is due this Thursday and I have my own fosters and my own dogs and cats and children to organize.

Regards ems

And the best one of the bunch.....

Hello,

you was stating your opinion to which every one is entitled to, which I personally didn't feel warranted a reply, maybe if you had approached one group instead of spamming all the groups maybe you would of got a reply then.? But I did manage to see that you happened to list your own site, to which basically you are looking for new homes for the rabbit's you have, isn't that the same thing?...Instead of posting an offer of a bunny your saying Wanted a home for a bunny? So I guess its ok for you to do that? but not other groups?

Please also remember that moderator's/owner's of Freecycle do this voluntarily and really do not have time to respond to every person that whine's on about nothing in general. Having said this Northampton Freecycle Group's have now decided not to allow Wanted's or offer's of pets at all...

Stewart

:censored: :evil: :censored: :evil: :censored:

I have calmed down slightly since last night

I think the problem with freecycle is a lot of breeders use it to offload stock, and rabbitrehome can't be used for that purpose - what is their alternative? (besides giving up breeding - mighty cheer erupts :rolleyes: )

Freecycle

This is my' first post' so a big hello to everyone. :wave:
I also had some issues with freecycle posts recently. Someone was asking on behalf of a friend, for rabbit hutches....their friend was staring to breed giant rabbits of all things!!:shock: Unfortunately she didn't have enough hutches for them all. I clenched my teeth and sent a really helpful and polite message to her explaining just how much room they needed and most people would not have this kind of accommodation just 'hanging around' in the shed. Where do these people get their mad ideas from?....... Oh I forgot.... It's EASY money isn't it?
Another wanted a hutch because her daughters goldfish had died so she wanted to replace it with a rabbit.
Someone did send me a mesage saying thank you and they hadn't thought of going to a rehoming place so it is worthwhile explaining to people and being 'nice'. Take a deep breath...........

Our freecycle is pretty well run, no pets and if someone starts getting greedy it seems they are banned :thumb:

That last reply was appalling! Have you responded?

OH MY GOODNESSS!! I'm sorry but I have to say this... who on earth are those people at the other end of those email addresses?!!! "you was stating your opinion":censored: It's actually pretty laughable

If Stewart had even bothered to look at your link properly he would have seen that Rabbit Rehome is not your site and is non-profitable. What an ugly man.

I certainly agree that advertising pets for free in this manner should be against the law, especially with a name like Freecycle.... soon there will be a Petrecycle :censored:

I really think you need to reply to him, explaining that looking out for the welfare of animals can harly be classed as spamming and that Rabbit Rehome is a non-profit organization that helps pets find good loving homes in a professional manner.

On second thoughts I honestly don't think that any of it will get through :? Sometimes you just can't win (where's the brink wall icon when I need it!)

This is my' first post' so a big hello to everyone. :wave:
I also had some issues with freecycle posts recently. Someone was asking on behalf of a friend, for rabbit hutches....their friend was staring to breed giant rabbits of all things!!:shock: Unfortunately she didn't have enough hutches for them all. I clenched my teeth and sent a really helpful and polite message to her explaining just how much room they needed and most people would not have this kind of accommodation just 'hanging around' in the shed. Where do these people get their mad ideas from?....... Oh I forgot.... It's EASY money isn't it?
Another wanted a hutch because her daughters goldfish had died so she wanted to replace it with a rabbit.
Someone did send me a mesage saying thank you and they hadn't thought of going to a rehoming place so it is worthwhile explaining to people and being 'nice'. Take a deep breath...........

:wave: :wave: welcome to the forum, glad you were able to offer advice. Unfortunately some people just dont want to listen:cry: Im glad someone gave you a nice reply hopefully they will try their local rescue.
Sallyx

Passions for rabbits aside may I add a pertinent comment here:

If a person has sent you a private Email you should not forward it to a discussion group or post on a public forum without the prior consent of the person who sent it.

I don't really think that posting a private email is an issue (unless you are one of the people who emailed).

Some people :roll:

No, I am not one of those people but there are legal issues, privacy, respect etc to be considered. How would you feel if your private emails were reproduced and circulated?

Our freecycle is pretty well run, no pets and if someone starts getting greedy it seems they are banned :thumb:

That last reply was appalling! Have you responded?

I've not yet responded no. My o/h thinks that perhaps my email to freecycle wasn't that well written and perhaps I should have left out the following quotes.

Most of the reasons for giving up their pets have seemed rather poor excuses...'I've just got married I'm not allowed to have pets', 'my neighbours have complained I have too many rabbits'or I've just gone back to work I don't have the time anymore'

If anyone has got a 'polite' response that I could send him it would be most appreciated.

OH MY GOODNESSS!! I'm sorry but I have to say this... who on earth are those people at the other end of those email addresses?!!! "you was stating your opinion":censored: It's actually pretty laughable

If Stewart had even bothered to look at your link properly he would have seen that Rabbit Rehome is not your site and is non-profitable. What an ugly man.

I certainly agree that advertising pets for free in this manner should be against the law, especially with a name like Freecycle.... soon there will be a Petrecycle :censored:

I really think you need to reply to him, explaining that looking out for the welfare of animals can harly be classed as spamming and that Rabbit Rehome is a non-profit organization that helps pets find good loving homes in a professional manner.

On second thoughts I honestly don't think that any of it will get through :? Sometimes you just can't win (where's the brink wall icon when I need it!)

Will pinch a couple of your comments for my email me thinks! and yes a petrecycle does sound like the next thing doesn't it!?

Passions for rabbits aside may I add a pertinent comment here:

If a person has sent you a private Email you should not forward it to a discussion group or post on a public forum without the prior consent of the person who sent it.

I've looked this up on the web and can find no law as such. I have not posted the peoples email addresses so can't see why it should be a problem. I could have made those emails up for all you lot know! :lol:

I've not yet responded no. My o/h thinks that perhaps my email to freecycle wasn't that well written and perhaps I should have left out the following quotes.

Most of the reasons for giving up their pets have seemed rather poor excuses...'I've just got married I'm not allowed to have pets', 'my neighbours have complained I have too many rabbits'or I've just gone back to work I don't have the time anymore'

If anyone has got a 'polite' response that I could send him it would be most appreciated.

Well I think your letter was far better written than the responses you got... any more well written and they won;t have understood it ;) :D

With regards the privacy issue.... emails which are intended to be completely private say something like the following "This transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information" or something to that effect.

I'm sure that if something like this went to court the judge would laugh because the sender never stipulated that the message were to be kept private.

With regards the privacy issue.... emails which are intended to be completely private say something like the following "This transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information" or something to that effect.

I'm sure that if something like this went to court the judge would laugh because the sender never stipulated that the message were to be kept private.

Couldn't agree more! ;)

I didn't actually email this group but seems like words may have got round!

After careful consideration, discussions and some problems, it has
been decided that Corby FreeCycle will no longer permit any posts
offering pets for rehoming.

Please do not post offers of pets / animals.
Please do not request pets / animals.

Thank you.

:D :D

Will email them rabbitrehome website link

Actually I think emails are 'copyright' to the author so you're breaking copyright laws by distributing it without permission

Back