• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pooey bottom

well As charm won't touch his SS I've been trying him on anything and...yes he's had the runs! But I've not managed to clean his bottom as much as I should have. It came at a very busy time. So now I have a major problem!

Not only is his bottom caked, but there's also a big clump which he must have sat in or something. My problem...it's stuck to his skin as well and being in his fur which must be uncomfortable and even painful for this big clump, but I can't seem to remove the poo from him with wipes! HELP!

poor bun! when my first rabbit had a pooey bottom i seem to remember we had to properly bathe her and use a rabbit shampoo i think (many years ago). she never seemed to keep herself very clean and always sat in the pooey part of the run, silly girl.

i'm not much help, but sure someone will be along soon :wave:

Suggest you take bunny to the vets. They will be able to shave him. Its important to get this done ASAP before any infection sets in.

I'd also suggest just feeding lots of hay and water until his feaces return to normal and then just try very small quantities of SS. He'll eat it if he's hungry, so long as he has hay his system will keep moving.

Edit, just read your post again, the 'big clump' may be swollen genitals, suggest vets ASAP

Last edited:
One of my rabbits has a habit of sitting in his own doodoo so i have to bumwash frequently! If you're unable to get it off with wipes, maybe you should try standing your bun in some warm water for a few minutes to soften it,just make sure she's thoroughly dry before you put her back outside (if that's where she lives) i've had to do this a few times & it usually works pretty well.If it's really bad, you really need to get her to the vet to be shaved, as someone else mentioned.

Hi, I had this problem earlier in the year and used bunny shampoo in warm water. I then used the cotton wool pads tightly squezed out and just worked on it for 2-3 days and then "kept on top of it" by daily checks.

As someone else mentioned, if it is really bad and you can't do it yourself the vet will be able to trim it rather than trying to use scissors as it could be swollen in the area. Good luck.

Try Oxbow Bunny Basics T - mine has never looked back since we moved him onto these.

Hi, I had this problem earlier in the year and used bunny shampoo in warm water. I then used the cotton wool pads tightly squezed out and just worked on it for 2-3 days and then "kept on top of it" by daily checks.

As someone else mentioned, if it is really bad and you can't do it yourself the vet will be able to trim it rather than trying to use scissors as it could be swollen in the area. Good luck.

Try Oxbow Bunny Basics T - mine has never looked back since we moved him onto these.

Yep that used to work on Caramel when she had this problem... shampoo and dry!

COOKING CORNFLOUR :shock: I am soooooo glad I stopped washing my long haired piggy Sabrina - she always sits in her toilet and gets in a mess, and washing made it far far worse - So now I just massage a pinch of cooking cornflour into the fur, then another pinch and some more and so on, till it's all well rubbed into the dirty fur, and then then if you work it in the dirt slides off easily - getting wet will just make it sore.

Well the big clump he sat in has come upp so I think I'll bathe him. He actually loved having the shower on his parts when we first got him. So it may be a good idea, it's just...he's 2ft long. so it's a bit hard to make him stay where he doesn't want to, and he doesn't want to be in the bath until he realises that he likes it. Go figure!

I don't have any money for cornflower but I'll try that next time. I'll buy some with my next pay cheque, thanks

And I don't know how many times I've said this but if my bunny doesn't want something he won't eat it. Simply saying "He'll eat it when he's hungry" is pointless! If he can go a week refusing to eat it then he's not going to go back on it with that method is he?

*exasperated* It's called money management. You put what you need to one side..Hay, bills, food and then you're left with what's left. By the end of some months NO, I don't have 40p. I live on minimum wage. By the end of others I have a fair wack left over. I buy bulk so on the months I buy it's costly, on the months I don't have to, they all get treats and sadly I still end up with no money at the end of the month.

Don't want to cause offence here..and not saying I know everything..but your rabbit would eat SS if he came to stay here for a week...we always get rabbits in and their owners say "oh you'll never get it to eat pellets"...well i haven't failed yet!

You just give him a very small amount of his usual food with lots of SS..hay and small amount of veg..no treats...within 7 - 10 days he'll be gobbling it down..then you can gradually increase the veg back up and cut the pellets down to a minimum:D

I find it always stops the sticky bum problems too!

Did that. It failed. Disasterously.

I stopped feeding him SS alltogether eventually. I ran out of ideas to get him to eat it. Anyways I came home from work and let him out of his cage yesterday and started filling his bowl up and then he started eating the SS *headdesk* I swear that rabbit just gets bored of certain things and then fancies a change! :roll:

Oh well we're back down to having two bags of different food laying around the house. I think he just wants me to keep alternating his food because he gets bored, but I don't know if that's a good idea... so he's on museli at the moment because it offers variety in the taste. He's not selectively eating so it's ok. I'm just wondering if I can feed him a mix of meuseli and pellets...?

muesli is not ideal for rabbits even if they don't slective feed ..it has a very low fibre content and will not help his pooey bottom.
Stick with pellets..hay and veg..:D

Did that. It failed. Disasterously.

I stopped feeding him SS alltogether eventually. I ran out of ideas to get him to eat it. Anyways I came home from work and let him out of his cage yesterday and started filling his bowl up and then he started eating the SS *headdesk* I swear that rabbit just gets bored of certain things and then fancies a change! :roll:

Oh well we're back down to having two bags of different food laying around the house. I think he just wants me to keep alternating his food because he gets bored, but I don't know if that's a good idea... so he's on museli at the moment because it offers variety in the taste. He's not selectively eating so it's ok. I'm just wondering if I can feed him a mix of meuseli and pellets...?

If he ate the SS then I would carry on feeding that rather than the mix, i had a foster in with a very pooey bottom, she's fine now on the SS.

*exasperated* It's called money management. You put what you need to one side..Hay, bills, food and then you're left with what's left. By the end of some months NO, I don't have 40p. I live on minimum wage. By the end of others I have a fair wack left over. I buy bulk so on the months I buy it's costly, on the months I don't have to, they all get treats and sadly I still end up with no money at the end of the month.

Could you manage it so that you save a bit each month towards the cost of buying in bulk so that you don't have so much going out just in that month? A bit like if you were paying your gas and electric quarterly, and switched it to monthly you don't miss the money so much if its broken down into months.

It's a lot more expensive to buy smaller packs, and I work nights so don't actually get much of a chance to go bunny shopping regulary AND he's a large breed. The smaller bags wouldn't last him very long at all. So in short No I'm not going to switch... And no I don't see any reason to either.

Back