• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wendy has gone to the bridge :(

sgprescue

Mama Doe
As many of you will probably know from my posts in other threads Wendy had Myxi http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=9880
She started to show signs last Tuesday and it progressed quite quickly. My vet had advised to give her Baytril and metacam but by Saturday evening aswell as the swellings on her genitals, nose and eyelids she had also developed pasteurella type symptoms so was put on Duphapen aswell. Sadly she still continued to get worse. At 9pm this evening I had to call the emergency vet out as Wendy was finding it very difficult to breath and I couldnt let her suffer by waiting until the morning. I had to take the decission to let her go :cry: :cry: :cry: Myxi is such a horid problem to have to deal with. Wendy was one of the Royston "meat" rabbits and was vaccinated about a month ago :cry: :cry: :cry:

Im so sorry I couldnt save you Wendy :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So sorry, at least she had some quality time with you, rather than a total naff life. Binky free Wendy.:cry: :cry:

Agree with the above post, she was lucky to have been saved from a horrible fate and you gave her some short but happy times before the end :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am so sorry for your loss, that is really sad, but can I ask you please, you say she was vaccinated a month ago, does that mean it didn't work at all?

I am so sorry for your loss, that is really sad, but can I ask you please, you say she was vaccinated a month ago, does that mean it didn't work at all?

No it didnt work atall. At first it started out with just the swelling on the nose so I asumed she had just developed nodular myxi however it then quickly progressed into full blown myxi. When I checked on her last night before taking her to the emergency vets her eyelids on one side were so swollen she couldnt open her eye anymore :cry: My vet phoned me this morning and in conversation he mentioned they had just had another vaccinated rabbit put to sleep because of full blown myxi :cry:
I am so angry as for a long time I used the homeopathic vacc with no problems. I still use it on my resident bunnies with no problems. A few months ago I started using the conventional vacc for all the rehomable buns because I was getting more requests for it. Since then I have had my first ever bun with full blown myxi, 3 pts from liver/kidney failure, 1 unexplained illness causing the bunny to waste away, several bunnies with unexplained weightloss, 1 with a liver infection, the list goes on. I never had any of these problems before I started using the vaccine :evil: :cry:
I have no intention of ever using the conventional vacc on my resident bunnies. I really do not want to use it on the rehomable buns but if I do that my rehoming rate will most likely drop, people do not think highly of rescues that dont use the conventional vacc. All I want to do is whats best for the bunnies..................im stuck between a rock and a hard place :roll:

Oh what a nightmare, that is an awful situation, I've never heard of it not working at all, I thought that if they were vaccinated they would only get nodular myxo and could recover.

Has a complaint been made to the manufacturers of the vaccine?

Oh what a nightmare, that is an awful situation, I've never heard of it not working at all, I thought that if they were vaccinated they would only get nodular myxo and could recover.

Has a complaint been made to the manufacturers of the vaccine?

The trouble is that the Myxo vaccine relies heavily on the individual Buns immune response as it is depending on cross immunity. The Myxo vaccine is made from the Shorpe Fibroma Virus not the Myxomatosis Virus.
If a Bun has come from a poor environment, which I guess Wendy did, then their immune system may be less efficient and so the immune response to the vaccine is inadequate to give protection.

Then there is the need for the correct administration of the vaccine ( I am *not* suggesting that your Vet got it wrong Cheryl!) If the 10% intradermal part of the vaccine is not given correctly the vaccine is unlikely to protect the Rabbit.

Janex

The trouble is that the Myxo vaccine relies heavily on the individual Buns immune response as it is depending on cross immunity. The Myxo vaccine is made from the Shorpe Fibroma Virus not the Myxomatosis Virus.
If a Bun has come from a poor environment, which I guess Wendy did, then their immune system may be less efficient and so the immune response to the vaccine is inadequate to give protection.

Then there is the need for the correct administration of the vaccine ( I am *not* suggesting that your Vet got it wrong Cheryl!) If the 10% intradermal part of the vaccine is not given correctly the vaccine is unlikely to protect the Rabbit.

Janex

All of the rabbits I have had conventionally vacc'd have had the 10% intradermal ;) . Although Wendy came from a fairly poor environment (she was one of the ones looked after better and had a bigger enclosure) she was a healthy rabbit when she was vaccinated and spayed.

Back