• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has your rabbit had myxi this year?

capel

Warren Veteran
I thought it might be interesting to do a running total post showing the numbers of forum bunsters that have been affected by Myxi(full blown and nodular) this year.
I'll start with
Floss....1

aww poor buns:cry:

were the buns vaccinated either through conventional vaccine or homeopathic vaccine.:?

it would be intresting to know as there seems to have been masses of cases of vaccinated buns getting myxi this year:cry:

The one I am currently nursing was vaccinated not long before she caught Myxi :(

exactly the same as me

vaccinated 3/9/07
first signs 17/9/07

i guess that's why she's got it quite bad as not enough time to build up proper immunity??

like you say seem to be alot of vaccinated bunnies on here getting it, i always thought they wouldn't if vaccinated!!

aww poor buns:cry:

were the buns vaccinated either through conventional vaccine or homeopathic vaccine.:?

it would be intresting to know as there seems to have been masses of cases of vaccinated buns getting myxi this year:cry:

My Floss was up to date with the conventional myxi jab. This is the second time she's contracted it, and each time she'd been vaccinated about 4 months previously. She's vaccinated every 6 months.

exactly the same as me

vaccinated 3/9/07
first signs 17/9/07

i guess that's why she's got it quite bad as not enough time to build up proper immunity??

like you say seem to be alot of vaccinated bunnies on here getting it, i always thought they wouldn't if vaccinated!!

Unfortunately the vaccine isn't 100% effective. But still offers a better chance of survival compared to not vaccinating.

Not had it, but we have a lot of wild rabbits nearby so is a concern. I am vaccinating every six months, plus encouraging spiders for the mosies!

Wendy had full blown myxi, she was housed in a shed and was vaccinated 1 month before she got it.
One of my volunteers lost 2 of her rabbits to atypical myxi and they were both vaccinated. Another of my volunteers (vet nurse) had 2 develop nodular myxi, they were vaccinated about a month ago.
My vet told me yesterday that he knew of another that had just had to be pts with myxi, was vaccinated in August. A lady I rehomed 4 bunnies to quite some time ago had all 4 develop nodular myxi not so long back, all were vaccinated.

Back