• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A quick question...

drboo

Mama Doe
Hi, my hubby asked me this tonight during a conversation about our first foster bun Gyp, so I thought I would ask everyone, especially rescues. If someone has the facilities for a new bun/pair of buns, is it more beneficial for rescues if that person permanantly rehomes, or fosters? Thanks :wave:

Fostering is more beneficial for the rescue BUT in Gypsy's case I might make an exception.....I have been sitting with him this evening wishing I could keep him :cry: and wondering if I can really find a home thats good enough for him, but that may just be my sub-conscious looking for an excuse.

It means that when another unrehomeable comes along I cant keep that one....

I decided a long time ago I couldnt keep any more 'healthy' bunnies, I was even dubious about Caspian until all the trouble with his GI tract.

For many rescues it can be beneficial for them to have people to foster for them rather than adopt rabbits, particualry the longer term buns who for various reasons are unable to be rehomed. ARC has a lovely lady who helps out by long term fostering many of our older or more complex needs buns.

However any one also adopting rabbits from a rescue also frees up hutches from within a rescue which can be used for other buns in need. It really depends on what people want to do.

It means that when another unrehomeable comes along I cant keep that one....

I decided a long time ago I couldnt keep any more 'healthy' bunnies, I was even dubious about Caspian until all the trouble with his GI tract.

I see, I'm sure you'll find him a lovely home, Sooz.

When I rescued the load of guinea pigs I wasn't sure about this question either - obviously keeping them has meant I'm unable to take on any more animals, but if I'd rehomed them they would have taken up homes that animals in more need could have had (and there was an urgent appeal a month later that pushed my piggies into the 'not urgent as already safe' pile)

plus when they live for 10yrs how do you know they're in a home for life when people's circumstances change so rapidly? When there's more animals needing homes than there are good, permanent homes, there's no solution to my mind, except PTS the ill or less desirable ones - it's an unstoppable flood and a hopeless situation which people are running themselves ragged trying to sort out :(

Looking at it from a rescue's point of view, fostering would be more helpful to them than permanently rehoming, as no rescue wants to PTS or leave animals in danger.

Looked at from a rabbit/piggies point of view, they want a permanent home where they can feel safe and secure and comfortable. If on one of their many forced trips to the vets they were PTS, they wouldn't suffer or be any the wiser for it, since what really makes these animals suffer, apart from obvious neglect, is change and stressful experiences like trips to the vet. They crave permanence and routine.

Back