• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Infection question

Jupiter

Warren Scout
Charlie has either ear infection or EC - he has had symptoms (over balance and head tilt) for about 10 days now. I know it takes about 6 weeks or so to (hopefully) nurse them better (Baytril and panacur) but my question is this... do the symptoms get worse before they get better?

He wobbled over lots to start with, then stopped wobbling as much when he got the head tilt but now, he tries to look up and up and up and then falls over. He never did that before :cry: I don't know if this is the normal progression of things or whether he is getting worse. Am not due to go back to vets for another couple of weeks. Just wondered if anyone had any tips! :(

Most vets will usually treat with large dosages of corticosteroids to reduce any swelling in the brain and to help any infection that might be present. A lengthy course of antibiotic's is usually prescribed. I know you will have the months course of panacur but what length have you for the baytril?

It is advised to keep the rabbit comfortable and in a confinced quiet area. Picking the rabbit up is not advisable as he/she will loose their balance and start spinning. This might be neccessary if you are having to syringe feed the bunny if he/she is unable to eat and drink by themselves. If the head tilt is severe that the bunny's eye is resting on the ground then bathing the eye is a must and your vet may prescribe a protective eye cream to help.

Recovery from head tilt is a slow process and you might find that the head might still have a slight tilt. Check that you have been given the right dosage for your rabbits weight as some vets seem to differ with dosage amounts:? Is he eating and drinking OK?

I don't have advice but I wanted to say Charlie continues to be in my thoughts. Best wishes, lots of hugs!!

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Charlie had one dose of anti inflammatry - it made him a little better and I think the vet will give him more when we go back, however, he said it would compromise his immune system if he gave him a lot. He is on 28 days of Panacur and I have 3 weeks worth of Baytril - he is taking 1.5ml per day which I *think* is OK for his body weight (approx 3kg, maybe 3.3) and this is with a view to getting hopefully another 3 weeks worth when I take him back. Does this seem the right dose?

He is eating and drinking fine. His eye is not on the floor, he is moving around but just unco-ordinated.

I will take on board what you say about picking him up (he takes his meds OK so no problem there) but as he is a house bunny, I cannot trust him on the steps anymore so have to carry him downstairs. I know he hates it so now I've started bringing him down in his vet box instead. Hopefully he might feel a bit better in this ??!!:? I couldn't bear to leave him in his room all night as during the evening is our 'social' time and he really is a sociable bunny!

It is so frustrating! I know in my head it's a slow process, I just want to be sure he is getting better and not worse!! :( .

Sorry to moan on about him - just so worried! :(

moaning is not a recognised word in this section but worried is so I dont think anyone would see you as moaning;)

Try echancia tinture (about £6.00 from Boots) a couple of drops on his food every day for 7 days then leave it off for 7 seven days, this will boost his immune system and help him fight the infections;)

healing and speedy vines for you both x

Thanks for that, I'm off to Boots first thing tomorrow!!! He had a good day yesterday :D but was 'confused' this morning like he didn't know where he was heading!! If he isn't focussed (ie: on his way to food!) he seems to become really unco-ordinated! :roll:

Back