• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nodular myxi - how long does it last??

When Floss had it last year I think it was over in about 3-4 weeks. She was on medication for only 10 days
EDITED to add: Although she had lots of nodules, she never developed any respiratory symptoms, so she must have had a fairly minor dose!

Last edited:
my jessie has had it over 4 weeks now.

no sign of the hideous huge black scab coming off

it's the breathing noises that scare me, i got really upset on sunday thinking that i was going to lose her.

it sounds like she it is really bunged up and full of cold bless her:(

come jess you can beat this

Monty got away lightly as he was wipped to the vets as soon as I saw the runny eye. Then 3 nodules came up an hour later. He never developed anymore, his eye cleared up after a few days when he finished his meds about a week later, so barely almost 2 weeks for my boy. ;)

my jessie has had it over 4 weeks now.

no sign of the hideous huge black scab coming off

it's the breathing noises that scare me, i got really upset on sunday thinking that i was going to lose her.

it sounds like she it is really bunged up and full of cold bless her:(

come jess you can beat this

This is exactly what Caramel is like. It terrifies my but I think it sounds worse than it is xxxx Have you tried steaming her with Olbas Oil? Caramel won't have it but it does help some people.

This is exactly what Caramel is like. It terrifies my but I think it sounds worse than it is xxxx Have you tried steaming her with Olbas Oil? Caramel won't have it but it does help some people.

like you say, hopefully, it just sounds worse than it is. one of her nostrils is almost completely closed and i hope it's just the sound of this but sometimes i worry it's more her breathing/chest:( she's very 'snotty' for want of a better word!!

i regularly have her in on my lap and hold an olbas inhaler or oil under her nose, she seems to like it:D

i have also tried the steaming (putting a couple of drops in boiling water) but unsure whether it helps or not really. at least it makes you feel you're doing something to help.

Floss is improving very slowly although the vets are pleased with her progress i've been giving floss a steam bath to try and get rid of the **** up her nose. The reason its so noisey is because rabbits have really small nose canals and when they have myxi which is a respotory diease any way the nose canal get even smaller and thats what causes the noises. Floss was covered in scabs she still has loads poor love. and shes had so many on hwer ears that he will have scaring on them but iam just glad that she pulls though.

Floss is improving very slowly although the vets are pleased with her progress i've been giving floss a steam bath to try and get rid of the **** up her nose. The reason its so noisey is because rabbits have really small nose canals and when they have myxi which is a respotory diease any way the nose canal get even smaller and thats what causes the noises. Floss was covered in scabs she still has loads poor love. and shes had so many on hwer ears that he will have scaring on them but iam just glad that she pulls though.

When the myxi virus, which is a pox virus, gets into the rabbit's bloodstream the immune system is compromised which lays it open to respiratory infections. I don't think myxi is ,in itself, a respiratory diesease. Your Floss sounds as though her case is like MY Floss had last year...loads and loads of nodules, though she was lucky in that she had none in her nose. This year she has few nodules but those she has are much bigger. Healing vibes from my Floss to your Floss:D

Back