• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weepy eye...is it only due to dental problems??

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Oh my goodness, just read bunnymadhouse's post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105347
and totally paniKed!!!

Liquorice has had weepy eye since we got him. vet said it wasnt his teeth but he didnt do an xray. He said it was a blocked tear duct and would always have it - doesnt seem to bother him.

After reading poor bunnymadhouse's post im worried this could be same as Liquorice and cant bare to get him PTS!!!!

Can weepy eyes be due to anything else other than dental problems that DONT require my gorgeous bun to be PTS????

Please tell me there is another cause of weepy eye!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

The rabbit in that post does not need to be PTS in my opinion ;)

The vets advice seems incorrect.

Awww don't worry about Licorice. Not all buns with weepy eyes have dental problems. You can as to have an x-ray done just to make sure if you want. It doesn't hurt anything other than the wallet but it's worth it when you can sleep better. :D

wood shavings, dusty hay, something stuck up the nose, something stuck in the eye, allergens are just a few that can cause runny eyes. I would imagine that if it was a blocked tear duct that you would be seeing snot coming out of the nostrils too. I would go with a head X ray to see what is going on before going down different diagnoses at your expense:)

My Bobbin has weepy eyes too. It's actually clearing up now *touches wood* but I fear it's a recourring thing. The vet was quite sure it wasn't dental but we have not yet had an x-ray.

It is possible that he simply has a tear duct issue and it's not linked to teeth.

The following link shows other possibilities:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

It's also possible that bun has naturally dry eyes, and doesn't produce enough tears, this can make the eyes very prone to scratches which will then make them over-water.

Some causes are much more serious than others and all areas should be covered and your vet should rule out each one by one.

I was precribed drops but when he goes in to be neutered I will ask if they can do an x-ray at the same time to rule out teeth.

Don't panic whatever you do! :D

In recurring cases I would request an X-Ray to rule out root problems, especially if the eye is not responding to antibiotic treatment.

Back