• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding-Update

Ivor/Anna

Warren Scout
Ive had a look through and cant find the answer to my question so im opening a new thread.

I have a neutered male dutch and a spayed female english, they have been noded and living together happily for about 4 months, on saturday they started fighting quite badly. The fight was over a willow ball, Anna seemed to challenge Ivor and humped his head then Ivor flipped! They get along quite well normally, Ivor will chase Anna away if she is getting on his nerves but they have never fought lilke this, Anna had a flap of skin ripped off her ear. Ive had them seperate but able to make contact for a few days. Im hoping to just repeat the bonding process ie reintoduce them on neutral ground then vinegar the kitchen and all their stuff then put them back.
Is rebonding easier than the first bonding?
Ive read that male pairs which fall out often dont rebond. I dont know what to do if they cant rebond, its so lovely watching them together, i know they like having each other there ive seen such a difference in both of them!!
Any help much appreciated, im hoping to inroduce them this evening, if thats wrong please let me know asap.
thanks

Last edited:
Rebonding is actually harder than the intial bonding because the rabbits tend to have formed a bad expectation of each other and that puts them on the defensive.

Sorry to hear they have fought. I only had a slight rebond to do when one of my rabbits was in the vet and we had to keep him in the house overnight - they were OK in the kitchen but when we let them in the garden together the female started freaking so we had to take it slow with them for a couple of days until they were comfortable with each other again.

Good luck.

From my own experience, rebonding can be a tad more difficult the second time around, however it can also be easy. Like with any bonding it varies some go in easier than others.

The only advise is stick with the rules as if you are bonding on the first time.

I started to bond a group of 3 last night - 2 females and a male. Donna is bringing me 2 rabbits this morning to start off and I have someone coming around tonight to look at Gracie who is Lady Janes remaining daughter .... hopefully I will be starting that bond off tonight! I am expecting to have rabbit pens in a few places and be very wheezy tonight!!!

Just an update to say that the rebonding went well, I repeated the whole bonding process form the start. Anna was kept in the cage for a week to allow her ear to heal and Ivor had access to sniff her. Then put them together on neutral ground and they were ok. There is still a bit of chasing and I think they are still working some things out but they are living together safely with no injuries for the last few days.

Is there anything I can do to prevent fighting in the future?
Obviously I always ensure there is enough food and hay for both of them so no competitive fighting. I also try to make sure i get two of everything, i.e two litter trays, two water bottles, two hayracks and two of every toy so they dont have to squabble over anything however they usually end up sharing!

Back