• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rews eyesight

kimd6200

Banned
all hi,my mate has got a 5wk old rew from a litter she had n shes noticed the baby sits moving her head from side to side.and when she approachs her she doesnt flinch until you ouch her.now is this the sign of blindness with her bein rew?her pupils seem to be upwards instead of in the middle of the eye if you know what i mean?she doesnt move about as much as the others.if she is blind do you have to do anything different or do thing the same as a rabbit with good eyesight?x

My Button has poor eyesight, we don't know how bad (not sure why, it looks like cataracts but he's only 2). Anyhow, he seems to cope fine though he can get nervous in new places, like if we bring him inside. He's naturally more nervous than Crunchie which might be because he can't see so well. We always try to talk to him when we come out, so he can hear where we are. We leave things in his hutch in set places so he knows where they should be, but his other senses seem to compensate well enough. Rabbits in the wild live underground in the dark after all.

Its called 'scanning' and its inherent in most REWs Im afraid, they tend to be shortsighted and it helps them to focus.

I have 4 REWs here at the moment and of those only one dosn't scan.

They tend to be able to fouce better on moving objects approaching them from the side as opposed to face on (Paige has eye problems and can see her food bowl coming into the cage but cant find it once its on the floor and stationary).

It helps to talk to them whilst you are near them too.

lily does this too. shes a rew. doesnt hinder her too much though. i have a rew rat too who is easily frightened so you have to speak to her to let her know you are there. as long as the eyes look physically okay she will probably be fine x

she looks realy bozzy eyed but they are clean n she is healthy.shes totally adorable.so fat n chunky.shes a dwarf lop but got a small face like a mini lop.keep fallin in love with her.mate doesnt want to rehome her.such a sweetie.xxxxx

Back