• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing-what do you think of the eglu??

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Rabbits&about=the eglu

There was one of these for sale on ebay, the bidding was around £130 when I last looked.

I wouldn't buy one because I'm happy with my hutches but I had a nosey at the website and saw the dimentions :shock:

The house bit is only 2ft 8" square :shock: They put the rabbit will have lots of room, but what if its pouring down and you have to shut the rabbit in?!
It also says there is ample room for 2-3 medium sized rabbits like English Lops, 1 French Lop (would they be able to move?) or 3-4 nethies!!!!!!

Also the price!!!! £360!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was originally designed for chickens and I think it's perfect for them, but not bunnies - bit of an afterthought I'm afraid - the words 'more money than sense' come to mind :rolleyes:

I don't think that it's big enough for chickens either....unless they are bantums. Full sised chickens (although it depends on the breed) are about dwarf lop size & some are much bigger. It was designed for 2 chickens & I think it just about conforms to "free range" standards for chickens but even those allowances are pittiful (10 cm of perching space per bird & 1m of space to move around in)

I have an Eglu for my two dwarf lops (Millie & Evie).The house part may seem small in comparison to a traditional hutch but they have access to the run 24/7 so decide where they want to sleep,which generally is in the run. It is extremely easy to keep clean and hygenic. Millie & Evie must be perfectly content in their home as they do binkys in their run which I have extended to 10ft in length. If having an Eglu means I have more money than sense then so be it! ;)

I have a rabbit that lives in one but please note that they are not 100% fox proof. I got one because I was worried about my rabbbit in the garden- lots of foxes in our road but sure enough it attacked the cage and ripped off her tail! Whilst it did not get in, the bars are wide and when a rabbit sits close to the edge the tail (used to) poke out.

I have added a mess to the outside now so nothing pokes out.
Also, the dirt tray is outside so the house is spotless.

I had an eglu for 3 months. Great for cleaning out but certainly not big enough for my 2 boys. They loved the run, but didn't have much choice but to be in it as the "hutch" is too small for inside space. Sooty even sat out there in the rain and as a result got very badly matted which was awful. Had to cover it in an ikea shower curtain in the end!

It also takes up a huge amount of space for the space that it actually provides for the bunnies.

Sold it and bought a traditional hutch - double with underrun - 5 foot wide by 3 foot deep and the bunnys seem much more content.

I'm sure that lots of people love the eglu, but speaking from experience it is not for me or my bunnies and I wouldn't recommend it.

Looks pretty and modern but far too small! I wouldn't even contemplate one. Also I'm not a fan of hutches with runs attached as they don't seem to promote as much contact with the bunnies. Bluebell loves his morning cuddle before I let him out in his run for the day. I'd much rather spend that sort of money on a much bigger traditional hutch.

Back