• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Rabbit Eglu

glam692

New Kit
Hi everyone hope you`re all well. :D

Has anybody purchased an eglu for their bunnies?,I have looked on the internet and although they are very pricey they look really cool. The are made of hard wearing plastic and they are so easy to clean and it also has a very long run with loads of height for the bunnies to stand on their hind quarters and stretch out. I have the old faithful, a wooden hutch but my bunny Bella has chewed it in quite a few places so it will need replacing sooner rather than later. Any feedback on the chewing and how to put a stop to it?

Best wishes
Geraldine
:wave:

This thread may be in the wrong place but....

NO NO NO!!! I have an Eglu which is used just as a daytime run and cover, the house part is just one big toilet and Bob only ever goes inside to use the 'loo'! Mine was actually 'donated' as I foster for a rescue, I wouldnt dream of wasting so much money on such a let down! Its not that easy to clean if you want it cleaning well, its heavy and a nightmare to move (which you have to every few days as it kills the grass where the 'toilet' area is). If you need to get inside to get bun out.... my Bob lives indoors at night at the mo (til he gets a wife)... you have to crawl through a door which only big enough for a small child to access and scrape your back on the top.

Apart form the deceivingly small size I would definately not feel safe leaving my bun out in there all night, I dont think the front edging or the door to the house is fox proof, and I really wouldnt risk! I think its hideous and not designed for the buns at all, just as a garden accessory.

Please dont waste you money, you could buy a big hutch and run, and if it gets chewed to bits, you could buy another and still have plenty of change left.

As for chewing advice, you can protect the corners with some plasters aluminium corners, ask someone in B&Q, cheap and easy to just screw on the internal edges.

Oh and if the designer of the Bigloo, as I call it, is reading this.... sue me, I dont care, its a hideous monstrosity and you ought to be sacked!

Last edited:
I'd echo that, I think they're awful. Buy a 6 x 2 Happy Hutch with attached 6 x 4 run and your rabbit will have loads of space. You could buy THREE of these for the price of an eglu!!! I think they look cute and maybe they're good for chickens but I hate to think of a rabbit or guinea pig in them all the time

I have one too but don't rate them very highly, OK for short term use in the summer but not all year round housing.

I saw one in Grand designs live.....absolutely tiny & the racks inside didn't look very paw friendly.........I don't know how they were supposed to house 2 chickens in there either.

I like the way they come complete with a huge water bottle (thats says suitable for puppies on it) and huge deep food bowl.... its almost like theyre saying you can fill it up with food and water and not have to bother with them again for at least a week! As for being suitable for 3 rabbits, not a chance, 2 small-medium buns could spend the day in there as a run, of the weather was fine, but they'd either be sleeping on top of each other, or in a pile of wee and poo!

If anyone is seriously considering buying one of these, I'll happily let you come and see mine first..... I can pretty much guarantee that seeing one in the 'flesh' will save you a few hundred pounds!

I purchased an Eglu thinking it was great for my rabbits. They were much happier in it until a fox managed to break in, despite the company's claim, by breaking the clips. Sadly the fox killed both of my poor bunnies. Apparently I'm the only person this has happened to?!!! Don't know if this is true. If you do get one make sure you use cable ties as extra security.

I have a rabbit that lives in one but please note that they are not 100% fox proof. I got one because I was worried about my rabbbit in the garden- lots of foxes in our road but sure enough it attacked the cage and ripped off her tail! Whilst it did not get in, the bars are wide and when a rabbit sits close to the edge the tail (used to) poke out.

My rabbit has a littler tray outside that it uses so the inside is very clean.

They are expensive but the attraction for me was that it is fox proof...well I thought...but evidently not so.

I don't want to buy one, but could you put a picci up please:lol: so I know what to avoid:lol:

Have a look at this and avoid it like the plague!

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Rabbits

Having been an angry owner of one for a while now, I've had a fair amount of time to examine it and always though it looked 'definately NOT fox proof'! Fortunately, mine is held together with cable ties, as some of the clips were broken or lost in transit and I thought how flimsy they looked.... I'm really sorry someone has lost their buns to a fox in the hideous thing, when being fox proof is ones of its main marketing angles. I very much doubt youre on your own though.

The wire door is held shut by a thin piece of wire (like on the top of a wire pet carrier), any idiot, and a fox, can open it with ease (mine has luggage locks on it).

I hate it, with a passion, but it does make a good covered run, if supervised and secured, but I still say the designer wants sacking!!!:censored:

Apparently they were originally designed for chickens...but then rabbits were added to the "suitability" list...probably to increase revenue :roll:

I wouldn't bother wasting my money; get them some chew toys! :thumb:

If they can prove 100% that it's fox proof I'll eat the fox!":shock:

I still don't think fox hunting should've been banned, they don't just do it to survive, they leave carnage wherever they have been and seem to kill for sport not food.

waste of 8 years protesting and campaigning!

I still don't think fox hunting should've been banned, they don't just do it to survive, they leave carnage wherever they have been and seem to kill for sport not food.

Fox Hunting along with all other cruelty sports should be banned.... there are humane ways to cull. Fox hunting is for barbarians. Along with badger baiting, **** fighting, bull baiting, polar bear safari's and seal clubbing.

Sorry but raw nerve - spent my school life protesting trying to get it banned... and cannot believe that any animal lover can say it should not have been banned. Nature is so that if you do not want any livestock hunted or killed - do not keep it outside. The food chain will not change regardless of hunting laws.

I know this has got slightly off topic but I have to disagree with Sarah86's coments. I also think that fox hunting was rightly banned and, contrary to popular belief, foxes do not kill for sport. They kill whatever is there, take away what they can carry and would come back for the rest, given the chance. The carnage is usually found before they have the chance to return for the rest of the kill.

I have also lost a rabbit to a fox and therefore have very strong feelings. BUT, they kill to eat. End of.

Anyway, back to the Eglu. I agree, a lot of money for not a lot of space!

What a shame they aren't fox proof. My boyfriend wants to get some Chickens and we were considering an eglu for them, but no point if they aren't actually protected in it.

Back