• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Louis and Midnight - bonding help?

Steffany2277

Warren Scout
well ok, it was more of a pully-outy-furry-fight, no skin nicked or anything just two scared buns!
well we emptied the shed and had the stable door bottom closed, i sat in with them just to keep an eye on them and at first they where just exploring, then they noticed oh hey youre here! they sniffed, and louis bowed his head for a groom but midnight was having none of it! she started humping him, and then suddenly all hell got loose and they where like circling in a ball, which i knew was when it was to pull them both away, there was a bit of fur but not an amazing amount, we checked for any broken skin, but both are fine.
It's just typical that they didn't do this at the rescue centre yesterday and with me at my place instead :roll:.
I went over to Midnight who was washing under the tree (I left Louis in the shed as he isnt trusted yet to roam the garden like Middie) and gave her a cuddle to calm her down and wuffled her fur while saying "be nice you little poopie!" :lol:
After Mids went in I sat with Louis and he is alot more people luvvin than Midnight who only runs over to me on the odd occasion but Louis is totally like YAY STEFF! or to anyone for that matter. so he sat on my lap for about half an hour while i stroked his head, (when i stopped i got a very annoyed little hand nudge so i had to keep stroking him till he went to sleep! seriously for a 6 month old bun he acts like a grumpy old bun!)
but yeah, i really want them to get on together, they are in seperate hutches (for now) untill they are i bunny love, but face each other through the bars. but does anyone have any advice to get them to bond? it's my first time bonding, and i may call the rescue for advice, but before that i'd thought i'd ask here!

Last edited:
ps i know it isnt amaziningly serious, and as maybe Louis really wants to be groomed i might trying putting some banana on his head to encourage her!

All i can say is neutral terrtory,not too big of a space(i done mine in half the kitchen)plenty of food on floor,spray bottle in one hand and dustpan in the other hand to split ,fur pulling is normal jumping over each other and so on but not lunging in for the attack,you will no if its getting out of hand,good luck,rick.:D

I bonded (or rather Herbie and his two girlies bonded themselves) in the kitchen. There was plenty of hay on the floor and lots of boxes and containers for them to explore. Keeping them occupied seems to help. They spent several hours in the kitchen - I had a telephone and the fridge to keep me company - and then we moved them to a non neutral territory. By this time Herbie had pretty much accepted the girlies and he was fine with them in his space. They are not madly in love but are on the whole happy in each others company. I think we were relatively lucky after reading of other people's experiences.

It worked for us, but am not sure I could go through it again - thankfully OH was away for the day so didn't see the kitchen resembling a stable! :?

lol yes i think we are going to try more obsitcals, and a different space. hoping that and having their hutches facing each other so they can see and smell, but no paws or fights will help!

Try not to touch them too much while they are bonding. I was told this when I asked for help, apparently it confuses the scents if you touch them. Push them apart if they fight (and split them up if it gets nasty) and use a glove! I got bitten and learnt after that! I must admit that I did pick Bailey up a few times as he humped poor Luuna for about 4 days straight and wouldn't even let her drink :( I kept mine in the neutral area for about 5 days before moving them back into Bailey's territory.

Dont move them about too much.....everytime they get near to sorting a hierachy if they are then moved they start from scratch and it delays the whole process as they have new territory to squable over.

I keep mine in the kitchen for the first 36 hours before deciding if they are ready to move to the run or hutch.

Back