• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scooby's not himself - any advice?

chops04

New Kit
Scooby is a house rabbit and I let him out for a run round the house for at least an hour each day and if the weather is nice I put him out in the garden in a pen.

When I went to bring him in from the garden yesterday he was huddled in the corner of his pen and normally leaps out when i take the top off but he just sat there. Put him back in his hutch and he just flopped down in his bed area.

When I came down this morning he is usually scratching at his hutch door to be let out but he was just laying down and not really doing much. I picked him up and put him on the floor and normally he will bunny hop about but he just wasn't interested. He did a jump and his back legs seemed to collapse under him. I put him back in his hutch and he just munched on some hay and a seed treat thing I had given him yesterday.

Took him to the vet this afternoon and the vet is unsure what is wrong! :cry: His teeth seem fine, eyes are ok and temp was ok too. The vet felt his back legs and spine and said that he may have some disease that rabbits get that affect spine (he did tell me the name but I can't remember it :oops:) where is no vaccination against it unfortunately. He had a bit of diaorreah while on the vets table but up until then Scooby's poo's have been hard as I changed his letter tray before going to vet and everything looked normal in there. Vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and I have got to take him back tomorrow. As vet was cleaning his bum Scooby started making an awful screaming noise - I never knew rabbits made any noise let alone scream! So the vet prodded his back end again but was still no wiser as to what the problem is.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their bunnies?

Scooby is a house rabbit and I let him out for a run round the house for at least an hour each day and if the weather is nice I put him out in the garden in a pen.

When I went to bring him in from the garden yesterday he was huddled in the corner of his pen and normally leaps out when i take the top off but he just sat there. Put him back in his hutch and he just flopped down in his bed area.

When I came down this morning he is usually scratching at his hutch door to be let out but he was just laying down and not really doing much. I picked him up and put him on the floor and normally he will bunny hop about but he just wasn't interested. He did a jump and his back legs seemed to collapse under him. I put him back in his hutch and he just munched on some hay and a seed treat thing I had given him yesterday.

Took him to the vet this afternoon and the vet is unsure what is wrong! :cry: His teeth seem fine, eyes are ok and temp was ok too. The vet felt his back legs and spine and said that he may have some disease that rabbits get that affect spine (he did tell me the name but I can't remember it :oops:) where is no vaccination against it unfortunately. He had a bit of diaorreah while on the vets table but up until then Scooby's poo's have been hard as I changed his letter tray before going to vet and everything looked normal in there. Vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and I have got to take him back tomorrow. As vet was cleaning his bum Scooby started making an awful screaming noise - I never knew rabbits made any noise let alone scream! So the vet prodded his back end again but was still no wiser as to what the problem is.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their bunnies?

Good grief did the Vet not think of ADMITING Scooby for an Xray of his spine :shock:
A Rabbit will only scream from fear or *extreme* pain :cry:

The condition your Vet mentioned was probably EC (Encephalitizoon Cuniculli)

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

However, severe pain from EC is uncommon and to me it sounds as though Scooby has sustained a spinal injury

I would advise you to seek an *urgent* second opinion from a Vet who will Xray him, tonight if possible. I would confine Scooby and make sure he does not jump about until it can be confirmed that he does not have a fracture.

And if the Vet who saw him suspected EC why on earth was appropriate treatment (Panacur) not given
And what about pain relef.............

I am so angry on your behalf as you have done the right thing by taking your Rabbit to a Vet. But from what you have said the Vet appears not to know a huge amount about Rabbits.
I hope that your Bun will be OK

Janex

I've only just managed to get back online and saw your replies.

He is in his cage and has been eating hay and some of his food. When he was sat in his litter tray I did notice that his "downstairs bits" looked a bit swollen and maybe when the vet wiped his bum that was what caused him to scream. The vet didn't even look at his bum or testicles as if I was a male rabbit and had swollen balls it would certainly make me walk funny!! lol

He has got an appointment first thing in the morning and I thought that the vet that I take him to was experienced in dealing with rabbits - looks like I was wrong.

He does seem a bit better in himself and he is using his litter tray. Her certainly has had no more runny poos since being at the vets.

I've only just managed to get back online and saw your replies.

He is in his cage and has been eating hay and some of his food. When he was sat in his litter tray I did notice that his "downstairs bits" looked a bit swollen and maybe when the vet wiped his bum that was what caused him to scream. The vet didn't even look at his bum or testicles as if I was a male rabbit and had swollen balls it would certainly make me walk funny!! lol

He has got an appointment first thing in the morning and I thought that the vet that I take him to was experienced in dealing with rabbits - looks like I was wrong.

He does seem a bit better in himself and he is using his litter tray. Her certainly has had no more runny poos since being at the vets.

Has he been vaccinated against myxomatosis?
Swollen genitals is a symptom of Myxi

Janex

Yes he has been vaccinated against myxi and VHD. He is due his myxi booster at the end of Dec. Not sure if he is swollen or he has just got big balls!! He's not a year old yet so maybe he it just maturing in rabbit terms!!

Vet now thinks it may have been something he has eaten as he was in the garden on Sunday. Vet said that damp grass can have an affect on bunnies. Got to keep him in his hutch til he starts eating his food as he hasn't been eating his food pellets but has been eating hay, some carrot and he has been nibbling a seed stick.

Taking him back on Thursday.

Back