• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bottom

Shell

Alpha Buck
My cashmere lop Snowy has got a reallyyyyy wet bottom. A couple of months ago he seemed to constantly have a wet bottom so I booked an appointment at the vets. The day I took him to the vets his bottom was totally dry :roll: typical. The vet checked him over but could not find anything wrong with him.

It has stayed dry for the past couple of months but today he is absolutely soaking. Because he has long hair, all his hair on his legs and around his bottom are stuck together in wet clumps and his tail is just a lump of matted wet hair. His legs look all red and sore from urine scald. :(

Their litter tray is emptied daily and i use newspaper and megazorb with a layer of hay on top so it's not like he is sat in wetness.

I will give his bottom a wash and put some cream on his legs and if it continues I will take him to the vets again.

Has anyone got any idea what could be wrong with him?

My bun has had something similar to this recently (although he is short haired). I was given antibiotics for possible bladder infection as he was also drinking LOTS of water & had started peeing outside his litter tray. The antibiotics seemed to work, along side some cranberry juice, although it may be back again after a little incident this morning :(

If he is still litter trained then it may just be his long hair that is causing a problem & you, or your vet could try shaving him.

If he's lost litter training, expecially small dribbles then you might be looking at:

Infection/cystitis - Causes pain on peeing so they can't aim properly
Bladder/kidney stones - I imagine causes pain on peeing.
EC - Rabbit doesn't know he's peeing
Diabetes (with excess drinking)
Kidney failure (excessive drinking & weight loss)

I may have left something out.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html
http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

ohh and by the way sooty showed no outward sign of being poorly. But the antibiotics seemed to work. We were also given panacur, just in case it was EC related.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply :D I checked him this morning and he was dry so I will keep an eye on it for now.

Shell, if he hasnt been wormed get him done now!

EC can come and go in its symptoms and all the time its sitting there it could be causing more damage without showing outward signs.

EC related incontinence can stem from hind leg paralysis or even worse renal failure....its not something to hang about on treating, especially when Panacur is so cheap, as it will get progressively worse.

Thanks Sooz

No they have not been wormed. Bugsy and Lola have but Snowy and Buttons haven't yet. Do I just need to give them the 9 day course or should he have it for longer?

Thanks

28 days minimum.....treat it as suspected active EC.

The other bunnies will need a 9 day preventative and I would sterilise dustpans etc between hutches as its spread through the urine and feaces.

28 days minimum.....treat it as suspected active EC.

The other bunnies will need a 9 day preventative and I would sterilise dustpans etc between hutches as its spread through the urine and feaces.

Thanks Sooz. Sorry for all the questions

Bugsy and Lola were wormed about 2 months ago, is it ok to be done again so soon?

I've got the 2 foster babies too, can they be done, or are they too young?

Do I give Buttons, who lives with Snowy, 9 days or 28 days?

Thanks

Bugsy and Lola were wormed about 2 months ago, is it ok to be done again so soon?
YEP

I've got the 2 foster babies too, can they be done, or are they too young?
THEY SHOULD BE DONE TOO, CAN WORM FROM A VERY YOUNG AGE

Do I give Buttons, who lives with Snowy, 9 days or 28 days?
VARYING OPINIONS, ACTIVE SPORES CAN BE RELEASED OVER THE ENTIRE TREATMENT PERIOD SO IM NOT SURE IF 9 DAYS WILL BE EFFECTIVE.....28 DAYS WOULD BE A SAFER BET

Thanks

Hope that helps

Back