• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi more probs help and advice please

bunlover

Warren Veteran
well as some of you know our bunny chelsea(the 9yr old we tried to bond) has nodular mxyi...last post i said she was improving... well not any more if anything she seems less happy....although her eye looks better she is eating less and less dried food...still eating her vegs and is eating grass a lot.(yes she has access to hay too) and think it might be coz she has some more nodules pop up around her mouth....

due to this baytril is hard to give. also giving 3mls part mixed with water or 2 mls neat..also giving probiotic and metacam and she still on eyedrops... poor thing more nodules over last few days (now total of 14) she has quite a lot on her...vet stil thinks good prognosis but we worried....

finding meds hard...how can we get these into her?!!! least stress possible please,...also what should we do to encorage her feeding...?

she is not a cuddly rabbit and does not like to be stroked particularly but will tolerate being on your lap....(she is not frigtened she just doesnt like it.)

mum has bought her some baby food just in case we need to go down that road....and we trying her with everything she likes...

all advice welcome...anyone else had an older bunny with myxi? how did things go... oh she vaccinated within 6 months of contracting mxyi and she always has had her jabs. our rabbit savvy vet thinks good prognosis but she seems to be not so well sitting sulking. help!!!

Last edited:
i don't really have much info on myxi cause my buns never had it thank god but a good way of giving my buns their Medicine is to put on a piece of apple and they loved it. my vet told me that when my wouldn't have theirs.

Hiya :wave:

sorry to hear your bun is no better if your having problems giving her meds if she likes apple cut one in half and where the pips are in the holes put the meds in there then she will eat the with the apple (if that makes sense)

My bun still has nodular myxi too and she went off her dried food i just made sure she has loads of yummy veg she has now gone back onto her dried food and enjoying it. Floss (my bun) got lumps round her mouth to infact she got lumps every where and my bun has had this for about two months so just hang in there feel free to pm me if i can help further, Good luck

How come pips aren't safe...?

Vibes for Chelsea... the apple trick is a great one. Caramel won't let me syringe meds and the apple really works!

My bun is fighting nodular myxi at the moment - he's not currently on any meds, but was on baytril for weeks.The easiest way i found to get the baytril into him was wrapping him firmly in a towel, holding him in the crook of my arm & pushing the syringe into the side of his mouth & squeezing it in before he had time to object.It may stress your bun out a little for the first few times but i did it because i knew he was getting all the meds...i tried it in water & on food but he didn't always eat/drink it all.I found wrapping him up was an easy way of doing it.Give your bun a treat afterwards & they soon get used to it.Hope this helps & that your bun is feeling better soon :D

Back